Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
SOTW Interviews/Editor, Distinguished SOTW Member,
1,193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Using the great Eddie “Cleanhead” Vinson’s solo on “Kidney Stew” as a practical example, Andrew "Dog Pants" Campbell" describes a simple and workable method to develop memorable sax solos.

http://www.saxontheweb.net/Rock_n_Roll/TheRightNotesAtTheRightTime.html

In the Introduction to SOTW's "Blues, R&B, and Rock n' Roll" Teaching Resource, we wrote:

"It is our hope that this Introduction will serve as a platform to allow readers to provide their opinions and comments in an ongoing discussion about these styles of music."
http://www.saxontheweb.net/Rock_n_Roll/RockSax02.html

Thanks very much to Andrew "Dog Pants" Campbell for taking time from a busy schedule to contribute a great article!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2008
Venus alto & tenor
961 Posts
What a clear clean way to think about creating blues solos. Thanks so much for your contribution. I intend to study this very closely as soon as I can find a copy of Kidney Stew. I've heard it a few times, but don't really know the tune. The realization of the fact that beats 1 & 3 want the chord tone is a great help right there. And thanks for the tip about Audacity. What a great tool. I'm using it to clean up my mixdowns from 4 track tape to cd.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
6,862 Posts
Kidney stew IS fine

Hey Mope,

Don't mess around: buy the Delmark Kidney Stew cd. It's really one of the all time great blues recordings: Jay McShann, Tbone Walker, Hal Singer!+ Cleanhead at his absolute best.

There's a decent version of "Kidney Stew" on tenor by fellow Canadian here:

http://www.mikeclarkband.com/music.html

Rory

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2008
Venus alto & tenor
961 Posts
Thanks, Rory
I checked out that link went looking for Kidney Stew at my lunchtime today.
I couldn't find it but picked up a great Little Walter. I have a pretty good blues collection, just no Kidney Stew!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
6,862 Posts
Really, if you click it you should get to Mike Clark's homepage. Scroll down to the next to last MP3. Anyway, this is just to get a sense of what the tune sounds like: the Kidney Stew Cd is selling for 12.98 on amazon.com--just make sure you get the Delmark one. The Proper anthology is probably good too, but it looks like older stuff. The Delmark one Dogpants is using is from the late-60s and its a killer!

Yeah Dogpants!!

Rory

·
Distinguished SOTW Columnist/Official SOTW Guru
3,764 Posts
Mope,

As far as I know, the Delmark CDis still available. I checked out the link Rory posted, (thanks mate!) and it all worked fine. Great band, Kidney Stew was great!
There's quite a few versions of Cleanhead and others playing "Kidney Stew" floating around. I've got several and I know Rory has even more.
Don't sweat it too much. The lesson isn't an exact transcription of Eddies solo anyway. I based the lesson upon his solo, but threw in a few other things he does as well.
If you can't find the track, PM me and I might be able to help you out.

Rory,

I thought the guys played the head well, but I was expecting a totally different solo. The solo was great, but of a different style, if that makes sense. Almost an old style head with a modern blues style solo. Threw me for a second or two but the guys can play!

·
Banned
301 Posts
Neil Sharpe said:
Using the great Eddie “Cleanhead” Vinson’s solo on “Kidney Stew” as a practical example, Andrew "Dog Pants" Campbell" describes a simple and workable method to develop memorable sax solos.

http://www.saxontheweb.net/Rock_n_Roll/TheRightNotesAtTheRightTime.html

In the Introduction to SOTW's "Blues, R&B, and Rock n' Roll" Teaching Resource, we wrote:

"It is our hope that this Introduction will serve as a platform to allow readers to provide their opinions and comments in an ongoing discussion about these styles of music."
http://www.saxontheweb.net/Rock_n_Roll/RockSax02.html

Thanks very much to Andrew "Dog Pants" Campbell for taking time from a busy schedule to contribute a great article!
Thanks. Those are great articles. And Kidney Stew will make a great study piece for me.

·
3,764 Posts
You're welcome. Have a look at "Old Maid Boogie." Great "Boogie Blues" tune and like a lot of good blues heads, it's pretty simple to learn and play. The solo is great too.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I have the original album It is called Cherry Red Blues it is on the blues master series put out by Starday-King. It is one of the great blues albums hes not only a master alto player but he has a great voice. And it has some great horn charts. A classic. P.S I bought it about 30 years ago.

·
3,764 Posts
saxman554 said:
I have the original album It is called Cherry Red Blues it is on the blues master series put out by Starday-King. It is one of the great blues albums hes not only a master alto player but he has a great voice. And it has some great horn charts. A classic. P.S I bought it about 30 years ago.
One day, when I've managed to snare a rich divorcee and no longer have to work for a living, :D I'm gonna sit down and chart out "Eddie's Bounce." I'd love to play that with the Big Band.

If anyone has the charts, let me know.

If anyone knows of a rich woman in need of a man to spend her money on, please PM with details. Age and looks unimportant, but must be in playing condition with no major dents or missing parts and would prefer rolled tone holes. Will consider relacquered models. :)

·
Registered
588 Posts
Cleanhead played one of my favorite blues solos ..... every phrase is absolutely perfect .... and it goes a little out on the 3rd chorus, which starts with a great phrase and then there is a tritone phrase before the IV. I copied this solo and played it over and over hoping to incorporate some of the thinking/phrases into my playing ....

www.berkeleyscience.com/jam/Cleanhead_No_Bones.mp3

·
Registered
198 Posts
Eddie Cleanhead Vinson's name comes up too infrequently on here. My mentor (Sandy Suskind, who's mentor was Sonny Stitt), told me that he was the place to start too. "Listen to Bird, play Cleanhead" he said. So I did.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts