Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Long ,single-piece, key guard YTS 61 or 62: eBay ?

Hi,

I’ve been considering selling my purple logo YTS 62, as I’m interested in trying different horns, and don’t want to stockpile tenors; I’ve already got a good few altos.

So I’m looking prices, and saw this in eBay:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/YAMAHA-YTS...127348?hash=item1ef1c34db4:g:W8AAAOSwXi9b6QKu

It’s advertised as a YTS62, but I thought that long key guard exclusive to the 61 tenor . I know the 62 altos had the long guard. What do you think? Is this a 61?

I checked Steve Howard’s review of the 62, series 1; he writes: ‘You also get individual guards for the low C, Eb and B/Bb - complete with bumper felt adjusters. This feature alone is probably the most visually distinctive against the all-in-one bell key guard fitted to the earlier 61 series.’

·
Distinguished SOTW Technician
3,408 Posts
Re: Long ,single-piece, key guard YTS 61 or 62: eBay ?

The horn shown is a YTS 61 no doubts at all!

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
38,841 Posts
# 1 is a 61 and in pretty rough shape too...

·
SOTW Columnist/ Forum Contributor 2014, Disti
2,780 Posts
FYI - Alistair, it is very unlikely but if you (as a result of this post) are contacted through SOTW by a Jerome L. Brown who resides in Chicago who will send you a photo of a YTS61 that he has for sale don't respond. He is a scam artist. He took me for several hundred in 2017 when I posted in the "want to buy" area.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013
7,356 Posts
FYI - Alistair, it is very unlikely but if you (as a result of this post) are contacted through SOTW by a Jerome L. Brown who resides in Chicago who will send you a photo of a YTS61 that he has for sale don't respond. He is a scam artist. He took me for several hundred in 2017 when I posted in the "want to buy" area.
I jeeze. I remember that thread. Sorry to hear that is how it went. Did you ever end up getting a 61?

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks everyone. Yeah I agree about that 61 in Japan looking beat up - it just looks like it’s not been cared for to me, as compared to an old horn with lacquer loss that may otherwise be in good condition. This one, I suspect, could have been knocked about a bit. The one in Scotland looks alright though.

John - sorry to hear you got ripped off. I’ve generally had great experiences buying online,but got a bit blasé about it and bought a used laptop through Facebook last year, that was just a scam - I took it to the cyber police here in Korea, and they really followed it up but I never got the money back - so I know how you feel. I think sites like sotw, which allow us to see a person’s history, are helpful - if we can see they are a professional musician or really passionate about saxophones, I feel they would be unlikely to rip someone off. I know this might be naive of me.

I’m not in the market for a new Yamaha though. I have a purple logo alto and tenor 62s, and it looks like I’ll be keeping them both. I was considering selling my tenor, and checking out prices, which is why I saw these ads on eBay. The guy who was interested in buying reckons he can buy a purple logo tenor for $1500, but I wouldn’t sell mine for that, I think it’d be a steal for that price. It was completely repadded last spring.

·
SOTW Columnist/ Forum Contributor 2014, Disti
2,780 Posts
John - sorry to hear you got ripped off.
Thanks. Lesson learned and money lost. My concern is that it was apparently an SOTW member. At least that is what I understood after all was said and done. That is why your post raised a red flag. I don't want anyone to fall for his scams again on SOTW.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts