Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
13,276 Posts
Fake. If real stolen.

VD themselves cannot sell them for those prices, much less being worth someone elses time to sell them.

The pics appear legit but that means little to nothing.

What you get is probably a stamped (maybe) 3 dollar ABS mouthpiece shaped items.

·
Registered
564 Posts
Re: Ebay Vandoren Saxophone Mouthpieces - Great Price or Knockoffs

I started a thread on these Optimums a couple of weeks ago. The V16s are a new wrinkle.
As you see, the items come from China. This kind of advertising is common there, where a photo of a well known, established brand is used for a clone or counterfeit product.
This price will barely cover the shipping cost, so you can imagine what you might actually receive...

·
Registered
200 Posts
The seller of the V16 pieces also has Meyer altos for $31 and Yanagisawa Metals for $41. These prices are waaay below manufacturer wholesale so it looks like counterfeit mouthpieces are hitting the market. They also have Kewozi USA (never heard of that one) for $32.

·
Distinguished SOTW Technician.
3,237 Posts
Cheap items sold in China should be enough to tip you off. We've seen enough fake instruments from China to know counterfeiting is rife.
As far as I'm aware, Vandoren don't make bakelite mouthpieces. What the Chinese call bakelite is some cheap plastic. Whether or not it actually is bakelite I'm not certain but it is certain that it isn't from Vandoren.

·
13,276 Posts
Yes they are way below wholesale.

Its likely that they are close to production cost.

Im pretty sure you dont stay in business selling at production cost.

It would be a nice gesture...but a brief one :)

·
1,310 Posts
Shipped from Mainland China.......

·
Registered
9,078 Posts
Bakelite is a very old name for a plastic phenolic material. It may vary in quality. But I have refaced a few stock unmarked Bakelite mouthpieces and I was impressed with matetials I have seen. Hard and homogeneous. I’m playing one on tenor now. It is not one of these counterfeits though.

·
Registered
5,501 Posts
It's very charming how a single eBay listing can constitute trademark infringement, copyright infringement, false advertising, unfair trade practices, common law fraud, etc. Good to know that being an ethical businessperson can yield such robust results!

·
Registered
564 Posts
Well, for those of you dying for such a great deal, here’s what the postman just brought me - direct from Shanghai:
404AB694-1201-479C-991E-F70152F2BD9B.jpg 181ED0ED-3970-4EB4-8E84-F854174D0EA3.jpg D1A6823D-B4DA-446A-B10F-4C50105EA5E6.jpg 75E981F2-5084-4731-99DE-83D19701BEDD.jpg 6FE9DA9E-F441-480E-A4B0-4D9005EE23A9.jpg

For only $16 I got me a genuine Vandoren Faris Optimum AL5 doorstop.

·
Registered
564 Posts
I just noticed those today....has anyone got in touch with Vandoren?
I sent them a message through their Facebook page.

I also sent a negative feedback on the seller - he emailed me and begged me to change my rating. He said he would give all my money back and I could keep the piece as a gift.

·
Registered
5,901 Posts

·
13,276 Posts
Phil, its not that much work if you have cheap labor and you dont care if it actually plays.

If you just want a mouthpiece shaped object it is as cheap as anything....though I do agree, It makes a lot more sense making a knockoff of something that appeals to a bigger audience.

Maybe this crook is just not very clever?

·
Registered
5,901 Posts
Phil, its not that much work if you have cheap labor and you dont care if it actually plays.

If you just want a mouthpiece shaped object it is as cheap as anything....though I do agree, It makes a lot more sense making a knockoff of something that appeals to a bigger audience.

Maybe this crook is just not very clever?
Phil, It's a lot of work to make a mold. Phil Barone

1 - 20 of 31 Posts