1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Ships from China, seems suspect.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Not to mention the gibberish user name and 0 feedback ratings. Situations like this usually are too good to be true.

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
38,811 Posts
no, it can’t be and it isn’t.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Looks like the package contains a plastic bag with (probably) white gloves.
Apparently this is a standard item with saxophones from China. Nobody knows why.....
;-)

·
38,811 Posts
Apparently this is a standard item with saxophones from China. Nobody knows why.....
;-)

because in China people have a firm belief that the saxophone gets lets desirable for the buyer if touched by someone else before selling. In other words the gloves equip the saxophones in case, at the shop, one examines the horn.

This may appear to be far fetched but I have seen, more than once, people in western shops, asking to try an instrument but then demanding one in an unopened box (which nullifies the thing of having tried the instrument because the next instrument is not the same as to one that you’ve tried!).

It’s the same thing that affects buyers at the market discarding minute defects.

·
Registered
1,682 Posts
;-)
That's because those cheap horns melt in your hands....and your mouth.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
14,268 Posts
What does it matter how such a piece of trash plays - especially one that is a COUNTERFEIT - a stolen brand name - a crime. Get it through your heads, please - these are FAKE. They could be as good as a real Yanagisawa and they still are FAKES - worthless to anyone with a sense of truth and ethics. DAVE

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
because in China people have a firm belief that the saxophone gets lets desirable for the buyer if touched by someone else before selling. In other words the gloves equip the saxophones in case, at the shop, one examines the horn.

This may appear to be far fetched but I have seen, more than once, people in western shops, asking to try an instrument but then demanding one in an unopened box (which nullifies the thing of having tried the instrument because the next instrument is not the same as to one that you’ve tried!).

It’s the same thing that affects buyers at the market discarding minute defects.
It's not just touching it. I wanted to try out a Yintai tenor when I lived in Taizhou, Jiangsu. I was told: You play it, you buy it. I think that the white gloves serve the purpose of sparing the instrument the indignity of fingerprints. The players in the drum and bugle bands that marched through town every other Sunday wore white gloves.

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
What does it matter how such a piece of trash plays - especially one that is a COUNTERFEIT - a stolen brand name - a crime. Get it through your heads, please - these are FAKE. They could be as good as a real Yanagisawa and they still are FAKES - worthless to anyone with a sense of truth and ethics. DAVE

Ummm... Selmer makes no bones about manufacturing in PRC. Yanagisawa may be one of their brands that they farm out now.

·
38,811 Posts
well, I went to a shop in Shanghai and played several instruments (without gloves). While I did buy one saxophone I had tried several (including a real Yanagisawa) and nobody told me you try you buy it.

I was once in a shop in Italy (Messaggerie Musicali in Milan) which refused me to try a mouthpiece on ground of “ hygiene” ( first time ever, I think that shop is now gone)

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
well, I went to a shop in Shanghai and played several instruments (without gloves). While I did buy one saxophone I had tried several (including a real Yanagisawa) and nobody told me you try you buy it.

I was once in a shop in Italy (Messaggerie Musicali in Milan) which refused me to try a mouthpiece on ground of “ hygiene” ( first time ever, I think that shop is now gone)
Shanghai is much more westernized in its attitudes. As you travel through China, different provinces have different attitudes. There's a city-to-city difference in attitudes. One city just fifty miles away from another may have drastically different attitudes toward many things.

In Shanghai. there are many more music stores than in most (if not all) cities in neighboring provinces. There's also the music conservatory that attracts westerners for study (mostly Aussies, I think). There's a pretty big music store just catty-corner to the conservatory. I can't remember the name of the place. It had a large selection of used instruments. It was no problem trying out an instrument if you used your own mouthpiece.

From a westerner's perspective, it IS odd that a Chinese music store won't allow one to try out a mouthpiece when Chinese have absolutely no problem sharing dinner with many people using chopsticks. Wooden ones at that! Now I call that unhygienic!

·
38,811 Posts
I used the mouthpieces which came with the horn...

By the way I’ve tried horns in Beijing too but yes, I suppose they were westernized but no one spoke english and the whole negotiations in Shanghai were conducted by someone (who probably got a commission from the shop)

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
14,268 Posts
Bloo: I'm not writing about trademark owners commissioning (authorizing) the use of their mark, I'm writing about criminals copying (stealing) the mark and putting it on unauthorized merchandise to deceive consumers. Those new $400 Yanagisawas and Selmers are counterfeit, the very essence of criminal conduct. DAVE

·
Registered
170 Posts
Mr. Dolson I salute you. Thank you for being the voice of reason in this type of thread. There have been a few recently and often you are the lone voice defending what is right.

·
Premium Member
20 Posts
I generally avoid placing bids for any seller who has a 0 feedback rating. It's way too easy for someone rto setup a fake eBay account to rob people.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts