Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,404 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Facts:
I listed an auction on Ebay that failed to meet my reserve price. An Ebay member from France had inquired about shipping. He inquired again about the auction after it ended. I told him what I thought the horn was worth. He offered me that much to ship it to him in France. All these communications were through Ebay email. He has a fairly new account with only two feedbacks from recent, small-dollar purchases.

This doesn't smell like any of the obvious scams.

Q: Will I be protected if I receive payment through PayPal before shipping the horn? Do I need to relist the auction with a BIN set at his offering price?

Any advice is greatly appreciated!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013-
5,183 Posts
Is he/she hiding their email address that you can't reply directly outside the eBay system? Others may see it very differently, but I think I would ask for an electronic transfer to my bank account and skip the eBay and PayPal fees.
You could also relist it with a BIN at the agreed price.

·
Banned
2,206 Posts
You can relist at a B-I-N and specify that only that one buyer can press the button. A seller did this for me recently. But I'm not sure how to do it exactly. Also, there are second chance offers, but that may only be usable in cases where there was a winning buyer in the first place.

·
Registered
291 Posts
My understanding is that if you sell an item outside the eBay system (even if you use paypal), you will not be covered by paypal. These transactions are against eBay's terms of use as far a I am aware.

I guess if you are the seller (receiving the payment first and not waiting for goods to be shipped), there is little or no risk for you. Either you get the money or you don't. If you don't then don't send the horn.

The safest way for all concerned is to relist at a Buy It Now price you're happy with. If you're not happy with what you've agreed to sell it for then just relist another auction starting close to the price you want for the horn.

Dan

1 - 7 of 7 Posts