Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
17,991 Posts
Well, seller says it is made by Babbit.....although seller also says 'medium-long chamber'...which is an interesting descriptor for sure.

.105 tip opening...????...not what one would expect for a C-Mel 'piece. I would have figured a producer would have put a C-mel opening at around .085-.095.

Although it might just be what the eFlay seller happens to have in stock.

As contemporary C-mel 'pieces are so hard to find, it may be worth a $60 risk (?)

·
SOTW Columnist and Forum Contributor 2015-2016
3,832 Posts
The Morgan C-Mel mouthpiece is readily available and great quality. If it's in the budget, I imagine it is the best you'll find.

- Saxaholic

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Technician
21,033 Posts
I had one that was about the same and listed as made by Babbit. It looked the same but I think it was plastic. Tip was about a.075". Better than the oldies but still stuffy. I think it may have been the same.

·
Registered
686 Posts
So, is this mouthpiece the same one produced by FAXX?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/153678353446
Well, seller says it is made by Babbit.....although seller also says 'medium-long chamber'...which is an interesting descriptor for sure.

.105 tip opening...????...not what one would expect for a C-Mel 'piece. I would have figured a producer would have put a C-mel opening at around .085-.095.

Although it might just be what the eFlay seller happens to have in stock.

As contemporary C-mel 'pieces are so hard to find, it may be worth a $60 risk (?)
I have a FAXX mouthpiece. It stays in the drawer and has never found a time when I played it beyond testing it. I have a Morgan and a "Goldentone", both which I enjoy.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
I have a FAXX mouthpiece. It stays in the drawer and has never found a time when I played it beyond testing it. I have a Morgan and a "Goldentone", both which I enjoy.
Whoa, when did Morgan start offering the C mels in facing 3 as a standard facing instead of special order only? That they only came in .080", .085", and .090" was always the barrier to me in trying the Morgan piece. .075" in a large chamber might still be too open for my taste, but at least it's worth a try.

I play my Buescher for practice while traveling, acoustic jams at bonfires, that sort of thing, so I want a more tame mouthpiece than a lot of the C melody players here use. Not quite on the level of a stock piece or a Caravan, but I just got done trying my Rousseau 4R (tenor) and it was too open and bright for my taste. Is the Morgan really that good, and do you think it is suited to the kind of playing I want it for?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts