Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,006 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently (10 April 2019) bought a saxophone mouthpiece from a seller in the USA. I've bought sax-related items from the USA plenty of times before (!) but this is the first time that it has automatically added the import charges, presumably calculated on the basis of my own address in the UK (Europe).

On 12 April I got a message from eBay saying that the item is being posted to my address in the UK and delivery is expected between 19 and 25 April.

On 15 April I got a message from the seller saying "the tracking shows that it was delivered to your destination this morning" which it certainly hasn't been - that would be much too soon in my experience of transatlantic postage.

When eBay deal with import charges, does something strange happen with the postage address - for instance is the seller given a different address for an intermediate facility in the US or Europe where some eBay agent deals with paperwork about import charges and gives it the final delivery address ?

Any ideas ?

Rhys

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
38,847 Posts
I think that it depends from the seller and the way they sell.

I have had things like that for items not related to saxophones.

The seller is NOT in Europe or even in the US, they sell via a shipping service, these include the tax included delivery.

I too had this thing, that the tracking showed that the item was delivered. What happened is that it was delivered to an English address (coming from china) and then from England was forwarded to me.

·
Grafton alto | Martin Comm III tenor
28,919 Posts
Tracking may have shown destination as destination country (ie it reached customs) although I would expect Ebay to know the difference between your house and the Patcel Force depot at Fareham.

I've seen this import charge thing with ebay, what exactly happens? Is it something the seller instigates or the buyer?

·
38,847 Posts
The tracking doesn’t know and tells you it was delivered while it is still in transit.

This is in the small prints of the sale (or at least it was for me). I thought that I had bought a Dyson part from England and it wasn’t.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member.
1,988 Posts
When the eBay seller uses the ebay shipping system, there are two or more carriers involved in the shipping.

The parcel has been surely delivered to another carrier than the first. The estimated delivery times are always... optimistic. Expect almost 15 days for the delivery.

I always try to avoid the International Shipping System by eBay, because:
1) it's very expensive.
2) it's overly slow.

Much better to use the old USPS Priority Mail (or the First Class if you can with)... from US to EU
Or UPS Expedited.

Unfortunately... eBay messes up the things a lot with the shipping.
If the seller has choosen (when he made the auction) to let ebay to manage the shipping... it's tricky to change that. Even for paying the object.

·
28,919 Posts
or the delivery.

I always try to avoid the International Shipping System by eBay, because:
1) it's very expensive.
2) it's overly slow.
Same can apply to a normal international shipping (in UK at least):

Here are two recent actual scenarios that happened to me:

• Item arrives at parcel force depot
  • Parcel force sit on it for a week
  • Parcel Force finally get around to processing duty/VAT plus admin fee
  • Parcel force finally notify you to pay their bill and get it delivered
  • Parcel arrives, only to discover it was customs marked as returned goods and they should never have charged
  • Fill in a big form get your vat/duty back but never their admin fee.

• Item arrives via Fedex who deliver it. (Sounds OK)
  • Two weeks later Fedex send an invoice for £31
  • Pete rings up Fedex who say "the item was value £15.31 therefore 31p over the threshold. The £31 is VAT/duty/handling
  • Pete says, OK well send it back, I didn't even ask for this thing it was a gift.
  • Fedex say tough kitty, you accepted it, pay up or go to court

·
28,919 Posts
Oh and another one that cafe members might remember.

We had this idea to sell cafe saxophone T shirts. I get cafepress.co.uk to print them on demand. Thinking we are dealing with a UK company.

People in UK buy T shirts only to find that they are imported and £18 T shirt has an extra £22 vat/duty/handling

·
Distinguished SOTW Member.
1,988 Posts
Generally... with ebay shipping, you should pay everything (shipping and import taxes) at the checkout.
Pretty strange, the courier charges you additional costs.

·
28,919 Posts
Generally... with ebay shipping, you should pay everything (shipping and import taxes) at the checkout.
Pretty strange, the courrier charges you additional costs.
My examples were for normal purchase/imports, not when the seller uses the ebay shipping feature. Either way there are extra costs it seems. ebay charge a fee of the courier charges a fee.

·
TENOR, soprano, alto, baritone
7,430 Posts
Yes, the 'Global Shipping Program' will give you multiple tracking numbers and a 'delivery' notice when the item reaches various milestones along the way, like shipping hubs and different countries. Seems to work well. They now have 'DIY Global Shipping' which I haven't looked into but claims to be cheaper.

·
2,006 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the information, although I don't fully understand my case yet.

The buyer sent me another message yesterday which made me worried about how this might turn out. They said:
I will not be responsible for anything outside of the address that you provided as your shipping address. Please confirm that it has reached that destination.

I replied that I have used the only address I have ever used in 15+ years on eBay and that it is the one shown on my email from eBay saying the item had been posted. I asked the seller what address they have used but there has been no response yet.

Rhys

·
2,006 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Now I have just received an email from eBay saying "We are writing to inform you that your transaction through the Global Shipping Programme has been successfully received at the Global Shipping Centre. You should receive additional email updates regarding delivery status."

There is a "Track you Package" button on that email and when I follow the link it says "Status: In Transit; Location: Erlanger, Kentucky; Postage Carrier: multiple carriers; Delivery message: Customs documentation and labelling".

I don't know what all this means in terms of insurance for the package or for the total end-to-end delivery time, but it has managed to confuse both the seller/sender and me as the buyer.

Rhys

·
12,710 Posts
I didnt need one but now I have another reason to avoid Ebay.

If you are shipping from the US to Europe one of the fastest methods is using a padded envelope.
Boxes/Parcels go through more steps...at least in France.

Of course really expensive methods like Global Express are faster but it is still all going to depend on what customs in both countries do...maybe their mood :)

I dont think priority international is any faster but its a lot more expensive.

International shipping is very random. I get packages in as little as 8 days or almost 3 weeks.

Rolll the dice!

·
38,847 Posts
this is precisely the situation as indicated by this stupid global shipping program that i also went through for this Dyson part. I have also had it with another Item, it was a tweed cap and the seller agreed that it was the most awkward system ever.

The Seller ships to a forwarding center in a third country and that one ships to you.

This system is NOT faster than any postal service. Only buying from China takes longer.

·
12,710 Posts
this is precisely the situation as indicated by this stupid global shipping program that i also went through for this Dyson part. I have also had it with another Item, it was a tweed cap and the seller agreed that it was the most awkward system ever.

The Seller ships to a forwarding center in a third country and that one ships to you.
A perfect example of "Too many cooks spoil the broth".

·
TENOR, soprano, alto, baritone
7,430 Posts
There's something else going on which it sounds to me like the seller is referring to: some international buyers give you an address within your country so they can do an end run when you state 'No international sales'. They are using a service that then ships the item to the real destination. When a seller discovers this, usually when he sees the higher PayPal fee for an international transfer, he might send the buyer a note that he can only be responsible for getting the item to the address given. Of course the buyer must know that already but I guess sometimes it doesn't hurt to tell it like it is.

·
2,006 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
A perfect example of "Too many cooks spoil the broth".
And then if anything goes wrong (package disappears, item damaged or not as described) I bet it becomes even harder to find what happened and to get compensation or a refund.

As Phil points out, I've had no problems previously having small stuff sent from the US to me in a padded envelope, except maybe having to go to a depot and pay duty.

Rhys

·
2,006 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
There's something else going on which it sounds to me like the seller is referring to: some international buyers give you an address within your country so they can do an end run when you state 'No international sales'. They are using a service that then ships the item to the real destination. When a seller discovers this, usually when he sees the higher PayPal fee for an international transfer, he might send the buyer a note that he can only be responsible for getting the item to the address given. Of course the buyer must know that already but I guess sometimes it doesn't hurt to tell it like it is.
I guess the seller has been given the US address of a facility where eBay deals with "Customs documentation and labelling". If they have never used eBay's Global Shipping Programme they may think that is me or an intermediary I have arranged. But it isn't.

They might not even be aware that it is going to be shipped internationally. Presumably they only paid for US postage and insurance within the US (if at all).

What a mess and what a stupid system.

Rhys

·
Registered
28 Posts
You are dealing with a Seller who does not understand how the Global Shipping feature works. The Seller ships it to the KY address and that is the only address he sees on his PayPal receipt. Ebay ships it internationally to the correct PayPal address of the Buyer. It works very well, you just do not get much tracking information. Ebay will charge customs fees if required. In the past, you may have had something shipped directly from the Seller who did not fill out the real value or the description of the goods and you were not charged the fees. I have shipped dozens of small packages with this program with 100% success. Just be patient. It will get to you.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts