Sax on the Web Forum banner

Ebay and the saxophone purchase...

2390 Views 10 Replies 7 Participants Last post by  Steve Stockham
So, here I was sitting at my computer and just browsing ebay for a lark when I decided to check out the saxophone section to see what's cook'n. I decided to check out the Keilwerth saxes as we were able to find a mint example of an EX90 Series III at a pawn shop and I wanted to see what the going price is for these saxes now. Judging by the bidding prices (not asking!) we got a steal of a deal (yes!!) I was checking out the SX90R's and seeing pricing that reminded me of MkVI's and ST90's that were only a couple of hundred dollars!

I was just about to go elsewhere when up popped an ad for an EX90 Series II Tenor sax in the same black nickle with gold keywork that my son's alto is and it was in mint condition as well! The starting price was $1125 which I thought quite reasonable with a "Buy it Now" price of $1810. My boy has expressed a desire to go to tenor sax after next year when they will let him and I am encouraging him to do so if he really wants to. This sax would be, visually, a perfect match for his alto making a striking set! I "bit the bullet" and put in a bid of $1125 and then decided after thinking it over, to increase my bid to the "Buy it Now" price plus one dollar.

I just found out that I got it for the maximum price I had posted! The only way that could have happened is if someone put in the "Buy it Now" price and tried to snipe the sax at the last moment! (It turns out that adding that single dollar was a good idea after all!

I know that there are a lot of people that look at ebay transactions with a great deal of wariness these days but I have had nothing but good experiences with it so far! The sax is going to be a surprise for my son and I am looking forward to working on the tenor lessons with him. This is my Christmas present to myself! I was able to get the sax my son wanted at a reasonable price (even if he won't play it until next summer.) :santa:
See less See more
1 - 3 of 11 Posts
Precisely. Although, that's not quite how I originally planned it! I was tempted to do the "Buy it Now" price but the opening asking price of $1125 was too good to pass up trying to get or so I thought. I posted the lower bid with a high of $1500 and immediately regretted not doing the "Buy it Now" option! That was when I decided to add $1 to the "Buy it Now" price. I honestly didn't think I'd get it for that exact price! Now, looking at your analysis of what happened, I wish I could claim that it was "my brilliant and daring strategy" (heh... I can't even type this without gagging!) that succeeded but while I "hedged my bet," it was mostly dumb luck! Oh well, the seller has a 100% rating and the horn is a reputable one and more importantly, it's the exact horn he wants! The only thing I'm unsure of is how someone would know to bid $1810? The "Buy it Now" option did disappear when I submitted my first bid. :scratch:
Thanks. That was kind of the "worst case scenario" outcome I was hoping for by going the $11 extra route. As follow up: The sax arrived on Friday, 12/16 and it's gorgeous!! There are maybe two or three tiny scratches otherwise it's mint!! Even at $1811 it was a great deal! :santa:
1 - 3 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.