Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased the piece below from eBay but have doubts that this is actually an EB Tone Edge there is also a 1 inside the chamber under the table. Let me know what you think.

4BFE4325-918C-43A8-90EA-C1CD1DF699CA.jpg

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
13,058 Posts
From the pic it looks like a current GV Tone Edge (Garden Variety).

A well lit view of the baffle and floor profile would help to clarify.

Given recent threads on ebay and the tendency to call anything an EB...I would not buy one unless I was 100 percent sure of what I was doing.

There are plenty of good or better pieces ...and even EB style pieces out there new that wont cost the 5 and 600 bucks being asked for a real EB.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I've played a true early babbit and have an 80's tone edge that has been refaced by Ed Pillinger which is really good but I keep returning to my NVS which was tidied up by Ed, it's such an easy blowing piece. The Early babbit my friend owns is very similar, modern tone edge pieces don't generally have the same projection or edge as all the ones I mentioned previously.

·
Registered
8,139 Posts
It seems there was a run of the NVS that had a nice pronounced long flat baffle, then they went back to the chamber of doom.
If it has a number, it isn’t and EB, and will just be another of the dull tubby Links.

·
Registered
140 Posts
The irony of it, in the wrong lighting, the sinkhole of doom behind the baffle can look like the perfect clamshell baffle. Much like a mirage of a desert oasis, or a sea lion looking like a beautiful mermaid...

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The irony of it, in the wrong lighting, the sinkhole of doom behind the baffle can look like the perfect clamshell baffle. Much like a mirage of a desert oasis, or a sea lion looking like a beautiful mermaid...
Yes, unfortunately this is true. The pictures on eBay looked like a clamshell, but when the piece arrived it did not play well and then I discovered the mold mark in the chamber. After that I measured the table to chamber measurements and indeed it was confirmed to not be an EB. Luckily when presented with facts the seller understood that the item had been misrepresented as an EB and was willing to provide a refund.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Last week I did an eBay search for Links and the number of modern TEs listed as early Babbitts by various sellers was jaw dropping. There must be a message board where these dudes get together and plot these scams. Between those and the epoxy resin slants being peddled it's a real cesspool.

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
I have a New Vintage Slant Link Tone Edge that I bought from one of our esteemed members, and it plays great. It is etched with the larger chain, a slant Otto Link sig, and a serial number and the size on opposite sides of the table. It is not molded plastic. The best $100 I ever spent!

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
I have an 80's(?) New Vintage Slant Link Tone Edge that I bought from one of our esteemed members, and it plays great. It is etched with the larger chain, a slant Otto Link sig, and a serial number and the size on opposite sides of the table. It is not molded plastic. The best $100 I ever spent!
NVS Links are from the last 10 years Darrell.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts