Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
13,622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There seems to be a lot of buzz about EB pieces lately. I thought Id take a moment to remind players of the Sapphire. The Sapphire is hands down as close (or better) than you will get from a vintage EB. I have played them over and over, back to back with originals I have in for repairs or refaces. You wont get any closer. Frankly, I think the Sapphire has a leg up on Originals, even with the same facing.

The Original Sapphire is lilke the earlier EB pieces. It does not have a huge baffle but its floor is higher than Slants and a completely different animal than the modern TE. The Sapphire LTD has a pronounced Clamshell baffle...if one prefers something in between can be built.

In short The Sapphire is as close as your going to get and for a price below vintage prices. You can get the size you need and as long as they are not custom orders I offer trials.

Thanks for bearing with my marketing. I prefer to make mouthpieces but sadly some marketing seems to be built into the nature of business.

Anyway...I will be happy to hear from you.

Phil

·
Registered
215 Posts
Hey Phil - would it be fair to say that the standard Sapphire is comparable to the first post-slant Tone Edge pieces that I think ppl refer to now as 'Florida straight signature'? I'm basing that question on the statement above that the original sapphire is like the 'earlier EB pieces.' I know the definition of EB has been fluid for awhile, so I was curious as to where the original model falls on that spectrum

·
13,622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am with you on the fluidity of what are considered EB. I am not, however, a vintage historical expert. In terms of what is generally considered an EB vs later pieces that ebay and the market have tagged EB I tend to divide them in two basic camps. The first a piece having less baffle and the second the really pronounced clam shell. The Sapphire is the first, The Sapphire LTD is closer to the second.

Also, since these are hand made and made for different customers there is a degree of fluidity in individual pieces. Im going to put an example of each in this post. The standard Sapphire has a bit of rollover...it can have more, it can have less. The LTD is clearly different though they share the same chamber.

The main point is that the chamber and floor configurations are EB based. You will find a great deal of variation in how much rollover or clamshell exists in originals as well.

Font Composite material Titanium Auto part Engineering
Cylinder Tints and shades Magenta Office supplies Auto part

·
Registered
T880, YTS-82Z; B991; 'Crat 1 alto
1,397 Posts
Please allow me to also sing the praises of the Sapphire.

I had at one time been thinking of getting an Intrepid, but after listening to Steve Neff’s clips playing the Saphhire (and the Intrepid), I realized the Sapphire had the sound I was after. As luck would have it, I came upon a used 7* in great shape for a great price, so I jumped on it.

I had only been playing metal pieces on tenor for quite some time, but the Sapphire has changed all that. It really is a great piece.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2014
Super Action 80 Tenor, Buescher 156 Tenor, Yamaha Vito YAS-21 , Kessler Soprano, Superba II Bari
4,964 Posts
I can't speak for the EB, but my Sapphire is the most responsive tenor piece I own. I always seem to reach for it over my NY STM, black lable RPC, and Dukoff Fluted Chamber. It's just an all around good piece with a bunch of finesse and guts when you want to push it.

·
Registered
276 Posts
I haven't tried an original EB or slant but I've tried many boutique mouthpieces and settled on the Sapphire. Not too bright, not too dark, velvety texture, fast articulation, easy highs and lows. I have 4 of Phil's mouthpieces and the Sapphire is the one I play every day.

·
13,622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Im glad you guys are enjoying the pieces. Id offer a sale on this to match the latest eb offerings but in the US at least, I get beat up by exchange rates and of course then there are European taxes which are not so small.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts