Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My setup is as follows:
Buffet 400 series alto (about 4 years old)
Selmer S90 190 mouthpiece
Alexander Classique 3s

I recently bought the Haynes sax manual and the MusicMedic beginner kit, so I got interested in working on my horn. After a quick set of long tones, I found out that my Eb is about 20 cents flat. I took a look at some threads on here and a few MusicMedic articles, but could not find a good answer on what to do. The only MM article I could find was using crescents to lower the pitch of a tone hole, but nothing about raising. My horn has never been overhauled or had serious work done to it, so it could just be that there are small leaks elsewhere on the horn, and are just adding up by the time I get down to the Eb.

So other than shelling out a boatload for an overhaul and hoping that fixes the problem (or taking a swing at it myself) what kinds of options to I have to try and bring this key back up to pitch?

·
Distinguished SOTW Columnist/Official SOTW Guru
3,764 Posts
Check your Eb is venting enough also your C. You say you haven't had the horn checked out in a long while. Might be time for a service???

·
Distinguished SOTW Technician
3,409 Posts
Which Eb key are we discussing here Palm or r/h pinkie?? Dog Pants is right in both cases anyway--I prefer to 'over vent' the low end of the horn especially C/B/Bb to eliminate any stuffiness--its then a simple matter to bring the pitch 'back down' a bit via buffer adjustment.

·
Banned
5,336 Posts
When someone says venting, they mean the key opening height if you are not familiar with that term. On modern saxes it is a simple matter to take a dime or a suitably sized screwdriver and back out the felt adjusting screw on the Eb guard to allow the key to open more. You could do one full turn each time and check the pitch as you go. A rule of thumb is that when the key opening on the most open side reaches about 1/3 of the diameter of the tonehole, increasing the opening beyond this point will not affect either the venting or the pitch of the note. If the pitch of the D's are close, it would not be advisable to increase the opening of the low C key by this method to help the Eb since it can make the 5th line D excessively sharp.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Dog Pants - Thanks for the advice!

Funk - its the RH pinkie key

jbt - I must have had the bumper up pretty high already, because I got to the point where I took the key guard off completely and it still made no difference. lol.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts