Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just picked up a cheap clarinet to take on holidays to Thailand (as I don't want to take my wooden Yamaha). I use to have a pretty good Bb for this purpose but unfortunately sold it. Anyway, I bid (and won) what was listed as a Stenberg Bb. (it only cost $85). When I got it I thought to myself "what the F#*$ is this!!??" It was about 3/4 the size of my Bb. Turns out it is an Eb. Anyway, I don't have one so I thought I'd hang onto it. Can always give it to the kids to amuse themselves. It sort of looks ok. Not too badly made - from appearances anyway. It has "Stenberg design in Germany" Just the poor grammar gives that one away! Obviously an average sort of copy of something. I don't think Stenberg even make an Eb Sopranino.

Now that I have it I'm just wondering if it is worth even playing. Sounds ok in the second reg but really stuffy in the cham. Sometimes just breaks into the second reg without the octave key and playing F#1 or C#2 seems to be hit and miss.

Seems to be a requirement for a lot of embouchure control. Maybe a new mouthpiece might help?

Are Ebs really this hard to play or is this really the worst example of Chinese workmanship. Or maybe its just me?

Anyway, I just wanted something to keep my embouchure and fingers going. Pity it sounds so crappy though. I might take my Yamaha yet.[rolleyes]

·
Distinguished SOTW member/, Official SOTW Sister
19,589 Posts
The little screacher should play as easily as your Bb. No stuffiness and no mystery jumps into the next register.
You don't say what the mouthpiece is, but it's probably not that bad. What you describe is pretty consistant with needing a good adjustment.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Just a generic mouthpiece that came with the instrument. Now that I've discovered the Eb I can see that I will become obsessed with it until I have to get myself a decent one!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
14,443 Posts
Little screacher is right. I once owned a Conn Eb Albert-System. Nasty little bugger - but it did play well. I now have an old French-made TRIOMPHE Albert in C - much easier on the ears than the eefer.

Good luck with this one. DAVE

·
Distinguished SOTW member/, Official SOTW Sister
19,589 Posts
They are fun little devils to play. The third register will make the hairs on the back of your neck stand on end.
If you can find an old Vito Eb mouthpiece give it a try.
I use one on my Noblet Effer and it's not bad. Not too reed picky, free blowing, and isn't really bright. I think I got mine for ~$20 on ebay.
If you have 'chubby' fingers you may find that you accidentially crack open the little sliver keys for alt Bb/Eb and B/F#.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm warming to it. I've been have a bit of a go on an off for an hour or two. The reed (new) seems to be settling in and I'm find that I need to keep a 'firmer' flow of air through it than my Bb. I'll look out for a mouthpiece and get it checked out with the tech when I get back (although he has such a contempt for cheap instruments he may just laugh). I'm currently using my Sop Rovner Lig on it too. Seems to work ok. Always good to try something new I say.

·
2,312 Posts
I have a soft spot for eefers. Alot of horn in a small package. And you don't need to be screeching away in the altissimo unless you're reading a part that calls for it. The chalumeau and clarion give you plenty of range to play around in. The chalumeau should play easily with less resistance than on a Bb. So if it's stuffy something's wrong and needs to be checked out. You can close off the sliver keys so they don't inadvertantly open. A bit of cork under the key or duck tape over the back of the pad cup will work.

·
Registered
120 Posts
As far as high notes go (above C3), i had a lot of problems, even with my professional $2000 Leblanc Eb. after about a year of playing, practicing at least an hour every other day, the problems have easily vanished. the Eefer isn't a walk in the park, it takes a lot of commitment and practice to get used to it.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member and Columnist, Forum Con
3,801 Posts
So true, the eefer does seem to chase away people who are not willing to put in the time to suss out the intonation and voicing challenges. Had a friend buy a cheap, vintage eefer to add to the instruments she plays and within weeks she walked away from it.

·
3,609 Posts
a decent mpc makes a world of differance. a yamaha eb wont cost much and plays very well. i played lots of eb clari in my german band days. i cheated and transposed the super high bflat parts to eb and it was a breeze. i have a plastic bundy that plays great.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Plastic Bundy seems like reasonable value. Given that what I've bought for $85 is probably ****e I'm sure I'll soon be on the lookout for something reasonable (without having to re-mortgage the house). Any suggestions on an ok Eb clark to look out for?

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Actually, that one doesn't do international shipping. There is another that does but it is $600.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts