Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://southjersey.craigslist.org/msg/2270581266.html

So I tried to get in touch with this gentleman for about a week and a half,
finally get in touch with him yesterday, only problem is someone had said they were
going to come buy the horn. I tell him the true value $4-5k (having not seen the horn)
and that I would give him $1500, building a deck so available cash is a little light,
he says well I gave this guy my word so I am going to sell it to him, call back
a bit later if he doesn't show I will sell it to you. I have a lot of respect for the guy
since he was willing to take much less, called later and the horn had been sold
had 2 mouthpieces which went with it, and old selmer and a metal piece.
I've had a hard time getting it out of my head since, c'est la vie, anyone have a spoon?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,319 Posts
Wow, that's a weird story. I'm glad you told him the correct value. That was an honorable thing to do.

·
Premium Member
3,302 Posts
Super-honorable move for him to sell it at such a dirt-cheap price. We can only hope that it went to someone who will play and appreciate it, and not immediately flip it.

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
Congratulations to you for doing the right thing. I think the seller could have told the buyer that he'd found out what the horn was really worth and asked for more without compromising any moral standards. But you have to give the guy credit. That was a real stand up thing to do.

If you believe that what goes around comes around, something good is going to come your way. AS I've driven around the neighborhood looking at yard sales I've considered what I'd do if a deal like that came my way. After a lot of thought I believe I would do what you did and tell the seller the true worth of his instrument. Twenty years ago I let my wife talk me into selling my Buescher alto sax for $40 in a yard sale. I still cringe when I think back on it.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Logician
25,964 Posts
I'm glad you told him the correct value. That was an honorable thing to do.
He only told him the true value when informed the instrument would go to someone else. I'd hazard to guess that if the horn was still available for $350, the OP would have snatched it. I actually have no problem with someone picking up a horn for $350 when it's worth much more. That's on the seller to do their research. But to try and get in the middle of someone else's deal... that's bad form.

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I would have paid him more than $350 if no other party was in the hunt, it's how much more and how honest I would have been that is
really the test of my character, as far as getting in the middle of someone else's deal, imho a deal is not a deal until the cash and the item trade hands,
and until that happens I have no problem whatsoever with offering more money, nor do I think it is bad form in any way, that is after all
the core of capitalism.

Honestly I think I probably would have paid him $450-500 , last week I bought a Buescher 140 original lacquer alto for $175
and when the cash was on the table he asked me how much I thought it was worth, I said at least $400-500, he still sold it
to me for $175 and it is the best Buescher I have ever played.

One last thing, I have never owned or even played a Mark VI (a regular neophyte I am), so this
really stung, oh well.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2014
4,315 Posts
I'm with Grumps...LMAO. I agree...if you want to sell something, in this day and age its way too easy to get information.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2014
4,315 Posts
My first Mark VI alto cost me 89 dollars at a pawn shop.

·
Registered
193 Posts
I also agree with Grumps. If the guy already had a deal it's not honorable to get in the middle. It's responsibility of the seller to do a research before try to sell something and two thumbs up for the seller to honor the deal, that's a real gentleman!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,319 Posts
I would have paid him more than $350 if no other party was in the hunt, it's how much more and how honest I would have been that is
really the test of my character, as far as getting in the middle of someone else's deal, imho a deal is not a deal until the cash and the item trade hands,
and until that happens I have no problem whatsoever with offering more money, nor do I think it is bad form in any way, that is after all
the core of capitalism.

Honestly I think I probably would have paid him $450-500 , last week I bought a Buescher 140 original lacquer alto for $175
and when the cash was on the table he asked me how much I thought it was worth, I said at least $400-500, he still sold it
to me for $175 and it is the best Buescher I have ever played.

One last thing, I have never owned or even played a Mark VI (a regular neophyte I am), so this
really stung, oh well.
"Honestly I think I probably would have paid him $450-500"

Okay, I take back the honorable thing to do comment. :mrgreen:

·
SOTW Columnist, Distinguished SOTW Member
23,002 Posts
I have no problem whatsoever with offering more money, nor do I think it is bad form in any way, that is after all the core of capitalism.
Is that your moral compass?! LOL

But yeah, too bad you didn't get to it before the other buyer. That's how it goes.

But how do you know it's a VI? All the ad says is "pop pop's old tenor sax." No other info at all. I can't tell from the poor photo, but it sure doesn't look like the right neck for a VI. Something doesn't quite add up in that ad (no pun intended).

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Technician
21,030 Posts
I agree that it does not look like a Selmer. Could be an Olds Ambassador or similar. I would have offered $100 tops.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts