Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
L

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anybody know a good way to get Tenor Sax music for some of the classic rock songs? I wanted to learn how to play "Layla" especially, but would enjoy being able to play really any good rock song. So yeah, how would I go about figuring out how to play them? I tried just figuring out the song by ear, but then realized I have an incredibly bad ear for sound (yeah, problematic when playing, but I get around it when I at least have music). Also, those songs have a nasty habit of being more complicated than you think, and even if I could get maybe a basic run of notes, I'd never be able to make it sound right.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Hi Lex, take a look at the "Guest Spot" and "Take the Lead" series of books, they come with play-along discs, and have good variety of popular music available. May just be what you need. gruss - spike

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
4,147 Posts
Practice playing along with easy songs like Smoke on the Water or Iron Man. Use a piano to make sure you are playing the right notes.

·
SOTW Interviews/Editor, Distinguished SOTW Member,
1,186 Posts

·
SOTW Columnist, Distinguished SOTW Member
23,011 Posts
Lexda, I listened to the whole 7 minute song (Layla) but didn't hear any sax part on there. Do you want to play the vocal part, the guitar line, or what? You could play along and come up with your own sax solo (which is what I'd do). In general, if you want to play rock, or jazz, or blues, it's best to learn to transcribe directly from the recordings. If you do find some written music, be sure to listen to the recording in addition to reading the music. What is written is only part of the story.

L

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'd been hoping to play the guitar solo in the beginning. I'll try and play it on my own, and I'll check out the Take the Lead stuff. Thanks, guys.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts