Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

Before taking up sax, I played flute many years ago, but haven't touched one in decades. I just bought a NOS Yamaha YFL-321 and am excited to find out if I've retained anything!

Can anyone recommend a good book of classical etudes that won't leave me regretting my life choices? Also, is there anything in the flute literature similar to Paul DeVille's Universal Method for Saxophone?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #2

·
Registered
3,715 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Looks like Keith beat me too it! I was about to recommend the Trevor Wye books too, volumes 1-6 are pretty much all you need to get to a really good level of playing. Don't skip out on reading what he has to say about everything though, there's some really useful information.

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Cool, I've read about the Wye books. Many people seem to really love them. Unfortunately, the music store was sold out of the Omnibus. I'll check back.

I actually almost bought the Melodious and Progressive Studies book, but it seemed a bit beyond my current abilities. Definitely something I want to work up to, though.

Thanks for the recommendations!

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've discovered that one of the books I used when I first started playing alto makes an ideal practice book for flute! The title is First Book of Practical Studies for Saxophone by Nilo Hovey.

The book is a collection of very melodic etudes (with some supplemental scalar exercises), literally everything in the book is playable on the flute, and it seems to be at just the right level for a new doubler.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts