Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are these baris from the same plant? Has anyone tried them both? Thinking of saving up to buy a bari.

·
Registered
3,951 Posts
I would say based upon the pictures of each that it is unlikely that these two horns are made in the same factory. The TM has the keywork, body connections, and bracing I've seen on many of the baris coming out of Taiwan including my Phil Barone branded bari. The Eastman could be made in a different Taiwanese factory or just as easily ROC. I test played an Eastman several years ago and it had a nice sound but it also had intonation issues. Haven't played a TM bari but I own a TM Custom tenor that is a fantastic horn. If I were choosing just between these two and couldn't play either before purchasing I'd take the TM. That being said, if I were shopping for a bari right now and was willing to spend $5k I'd get a Yani WO1 or Yamaha 52/32 shipped in from Europe or wait for a near mint condition used one to show up for sale.

·
Forum Contributor 2015-17
1,927 Posts
Are these baris from the same plant? Has anyone tried them both? Thinking of saving up to buy a bari.
I don’t know anything about either, but before you buy you might give Steve Collins over in B’ham a call. Collins Hornworks.

·
Registered
6,198 Posts
Keep in mind that there is no guarantee that the XYZ Brand Taiwanese or Chinese sax of 2015 comes from the same factory, to the same prints, or that the sub-suppliers are the same, as the XYZ brand sax of 2019. So past experience with a particular name may or may not be applicable. Reputable re-sellers (there are a number of well known names) will probably be forthcoming about this. Less reputable ones, maybe not.

Since the horns are all Selmer Mark 6 copies of one variety or another, it's a lot harder to judge whether one is likely to be the same as the other, unlike when you could pretty easily tell that one "Selmer Pennsylvania" was a Conn and the next a Buescher, or the 5 or 6 different variants of "Vito".

·
Banned
2,844 Posts
I have recently tried a new Jupiter 1100 bari. Not very impressed. I have also tried a La sax big lip bari. Not impressed. Both brands I have owned in tenor and think highly of them. Both not better sounding than my Taishan, but better built. Not so impressed with Taiwan made baritones.

·
Registered
3,951 Posts
Yeah, I consider myself very lucky with the Low Bb Barone bari I have as it's probably the best Taiwanese bari I've played all-around. I got it second hand from Kritavi and he knows horns and works with some very good techs. I suspect that any mechanical issues there may have been with the horn he had sorted long before I ever laid eyes on it. Otherwise I've generally been underwhelmed by the Low A baris I've played from Taiwan. I feel like less competition (fewer factories making baris) and fewer units made/sold have resulted in the pace of improvement for Taiwanese baris being much slower than the altos and tenors. Likewise, I've been told by a few folks and read several posts here which would lead me to believe that when asked to make changes/ refinements/ improvements the factories that make baris are either unable or unwilling to do so.

As I've mentioned a few times I feel the brand names are a bit ahead of themselves at this point in terms of the prices they are asking for these horns. The construction isn't as solid, mechanics as refined, finish as nice, intonation as stable, or resale as good to justify prices that rival the lower end horns from Yani and Yamaha. You can claim they are "professional" models and market them that way all you want but that's not going to make it so. I realize they can't make a bari in Taiwan for $1500 anymore but prices north of $5k for many of these horns are too much for what you're not getting IMHO.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts