Sax on the Web Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
17,986 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A Taiwanese-made Eastman 640 Tenor sax, fabulous shape, only a few years old.

No dents or dings, hardly a scratch on her honestly. Factory pads in great shape. We didn't have to do much of anything to this horn - a bit of spot-cleaning and some tweaking to the regulation is all. She did get a thorough going over, of course.

And I somewhat grudgingly must start admitting that I am liking some of the stuff coming out of Taiwan these days. On an inspection, this horn is built well and shows none of the maladies seen on many an asian horn. There is no key play, the point screws and post threads are precise, the regulation screws operate nicely, the springs are properly and proportionally sized and spring tensions are very good. Keys are substantial, not light nor soft. So, mechanically, this horn had some care and precision put into it.

Sonically, a free-blowing horn which actually has a really nice tone. Richer and warmer/darker than a Yamaha, for sure. I put it up against the Tenors I have here in the shop (a 60's Buescher and an 80's Grassi), and tone-wise....I have to admit this Eastman holds its ground quite well against two horns which are known for their beautiful tone. So, there appears to be another contemporary kid on the block which had some R&D done on it which intended to capture a more vintage tonal paradigm.

Nice to see.

Nice ergos, smooth key action, easy to navigate around this horn.

Comes with a BAM case in great shape, which appears to be bomb-proof.

$1425 plus shipping, Paypal. $1400 Paypal F&F, bank cashier check, or US Postal MO.

·
Registered
697 Posts
think these compare well in terms of fit and finish to the yani 880 and phil-barone horns that i had

·
17,986 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Interesting.

This horn is definitely darker than a Yama or Yani, even their top-shelf stuff.

When I put down the Buescher and started blowing the Eastman, I was actually a bit shocked....it just doesn't sound like a modern horn....

·
Banned
2,844 Posts
I can add to this that these are one of the best Taiwan horns. They don't sound like some of the others Taiwan horns, and I have owned most. This is a smokin deal. I personally believe these would smoke any Barone. The cases mine came in are very nice.

·
Registered
Primarily Tenor with occasional Alto
1,547 Posts
I own this model tenor and this is a very good deal. I like mine a lot and also own a Eastman 52nd St. tenor. In simple terms the 52nd St is a more modern take on a 10M and the 640 leans closer to the Selmer vibe

·
Registered
108 Posts
I also own this horn and love it. The 52nd street adds rolled tone holes but otherwise, both are the same horns. These and the P Mauriat's look, feel and play the same. Great buy.

·
17,986 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the comments both of you. It is interesting because although I have never had a 52nd St. model in my hands, I have been told by a few folks who have experienced both that there are tonal differences between the two....

Anyways, still here (having a blast playing her now and again, too...but she needs a permanent home, and a player who can do her far more justice than I can :|)

·
Registered
390 Posts
I can add to this that these are one of the best Taiwan horns. They don't sound like some of the others Taiwan horns, and I have owned most. This is a smokin deal. I personally believe these would smoke any Barone. The cases mine came in are very nice.
I’m sort of shocked. I only know the 52nd St Eastman. Great horns, alto and tenor. But the dealer where I played the tenor said the 640 was a student/intermediate horn and definitely pushed me away from the 640!!!! He said they finally hit the pro market with the 52nd St. Which IS Mintzer’s horn. So, maybe like you, I’ve owned Vikings, Barones, Mauriats, CE Winds, Sax Dakota’s, LA Sax and a 52nd St alto (wonderful alto) ....!!!! Never heard of this 640 as a pro model or I’d have been hunting for one!!!

·
17,986 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Funny...b/c using the yardstick by which one would judge a contemporary model of sax - there is NO way this is anything but a Pro horn, if one chooses to ascribe such monikers. This is by MY checklist as a refurbisher/repairer (and folks here well know how I am usually not too 'warm' towards contemporary asian horns)....not by anything a shop salesperson or a company's marketing dept would say.

·
Registered
708 Posts
Funny...b/c using the yardstick by which one would judge a contemporary model of sax - there is NO way this is anything but a Pro horn, if one chooses to ascribe such monikers. This is by MY checklist as a refurbisher/repairer (and folks here well know how I am usually not too 'warm' towards contemporary asian horns)....not by anything a shop salesperson or a company's marketing dept would say.
A big part of it might be sales people trying to "upsell". I.e. the 52nd Street is more expensive.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.