Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Banned
2,844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is a very high quality Taiwan made horn. It has very good intonation and quality build. It has adjustable palm keys and double braced bell keys C, B &Bb.

I contacted the factory to ask about the Giardinelli GAS 10 alto and GTS tenor by Eastman. They are the same horn as the 640 according to him. Only cosmetic differences that I can tell.

These are as good as any other Taiwan horn.

·
Registered
40 Posts
This is a very high quality Taiwan made horn. It has very good intonation and quality build. It has adjustable palm keys and double braced bell keys C, B &Bb.

I contacted the factory to ask about the Giardinelli GAS 10 alto and GTS tenor by Eastman. They are the same horn as the 640 according to him. Only cosmetic differences that I can tell.

These are as good as any other Taiwan horn.
You know.. it's pretty much impossible to find a review of a Eastman 640. Lots on the 52nd street model but nada on the 640. Your input was helpful.

So the horn arrived. It's a gold dark lacquer ETS 640. Pretty horn. Even some nice engraving. It's going to be a backup to my Mk VI and in that role it's going to be great. Actually, it would be just fine as a primary horn. I haven't had much time on it but intonation is about as good as it gets. The tone seems flexible. Tried a couple of different mouthpieces and results tracked what it was being asked to do. Build quality is really good. No faults I can see. Lots of nice features like the adjustments and double braces. Also nice aesthetic things like the dark pearl keypads. Action is slightly higher than I'm used to (regular horn is a euro-build Mk VI which most would find it a bit low) but not enough to be concerned with. Overall, I'm very pleased with this acquisition. Can't believe you can get this much what I invested.

·
Registered
Primarily Tenor with occasional Alto
1,581 Posts
I own the Giardinelli branded version of this tenor. I bought it with the intention of having it as a back-up to my Eastman 52nd St. but have found myself taking this horn to the gig more often lately. Playing it with a Tenor Madness neck (dark lacquer) and sounds as good as any MKVI I've ever played or heard. Very pleased with this horn.

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Mark, is the TM neck more open or more restrictive than the stock neck? How does the weight of the horn compare to the 52nd St. or VI? Thanks.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts