Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is a mid-70s Eastlake Super 20 worth getting? What does an all-brass, original lacquer, good condition one typically go for? I don't play tenor, only alto, and this would be my first.

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
38,878 Posts
In the Netherlands an Eastlake King could cost between €2500 to €3500, the latter in a shop and overhauled. A little less if brass neck as opposed to silver.

The use of the conditional is a must because yes, these are the prices, but the actual market is small and not very mobile. There have been a couple of later ones (USA models no engraving on the keys) which are failing to sell for weeks. Only few shops carry them because any horn which enters the Selmer territory in terms of price has to necessarily compete with the fact that the buyer would have to decide to invest his or her money in a horn which costs nearly as much but (and has a different image), come the time to sell, will have more problems to sell than a Selmer.

If you can buy cheaper than this you are certainly buying at a bargain price, I love my Eastlake 1970 with silver neck. It is the one horn that I would always prefer above any other ( even an older King Super 20 ).

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
TENOR, soprano, alto, baritone
7,437 Posts
Is it the model where they went with a conventional neck tenon and clamp instead of the original way? Just thinking it would be easy to put a silver neck on it if it is.

·
38,878 Posts
They started using overslung necks in the ’80 with the so called USA ( because it doesn’t say Cleveland nor Eastlake), Silven necks for this late model are not common, I had one for sale some time ago but they are very rare

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013
4,121 Posts
Great saxophones! No need for silver neck btw. The brass ones play just fine.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Logician
25,993 Posts
In the Netherlands an Eastlake King could cost between €2500 to €3500, the latter in a shop and overhauled. A little less if brass neck as opposed to silver.
They can be had for less than two grand in the U.S. on ebay. My Silversonic tenor is a '69 Eastlake horn and I prefer it over the other Cleveland Super 20's I've tried.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It’s a ‘73 or ‘74, underslung octave, Eastlake engraving, only brass and no silver, original lacquer with a mild case of lacquer leprosy, not sure about toneholes. Worth picking up for under $1400?

·
38,878 Posts
absolutely

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
17,996 Posts
Holy crap, that's a high price.

Here for an Eastlake, Brass neck, good condition....$2200 absolute tops. More commonly $1700-1800 vicinity. Sorta crazy low, if you consider that 10M's are now in the $2500-3000 range, and IMHO I'd rather have an Eastlake S20 in my hands than a 10M.

It’s a ‘73 or ‘74, underslung octave, Eastlake engraving, only brass and no silver, original lacquer with a mild case of lacquer leprosy, not sure about toneholes. Worth picking up for under $1400?
Have you played it ? Expect it to need some servicing, always a safe thing to do when buying 2nd hand. Nevertheless, still a pretty fair price. If you do not have a nearby tech and don't mind shipping, I can do a servicing and assessment if you like, for cheap.

But, if no significant body damage, then $1400 is a pretty fair asking price. I say 'pretty fair' because, if there were a project horn of this era on eFlay....I doubt it would bid up to $1400. But it might on a good week. But weigh that against the fact that you have access to it....now....and the price isn't bad.
If it actually plays up and down quasi-decently, it a good take. If it doesn't, still not a bad take.

·
38,878 Posts
well, there aren’t many of those around over here. We’ve seen many times that the market for US horns is higher, consider that we have a 21% VAT ( not to mantion the wages that are higher and all manners of taxes)

·
17,996 Posts
well, there aren’t many of those around over here. We’ve seen many times that the market for US horns is higher, consider that we have a 21% VAT ( not to mantion the wages that are higher and all manners of taxes)
Yup I get that, and indeed given their relative paucity, traditionally the USA-made top shelfers do fetch substantially higher on your side of the Pond.

·
Registered
YTS 82Zii
416 Posts
I’ve had both a Super 20 Cleveland silver neck and brass bow and a Super 20 Eastlake Silversonic. The Eastlake was single tenon neck and not undertaking octave, but crazy gorgeous horn. The key ups were engraved and the gold inlay was on the bell. I had metal resonators out on it. Easily the most beautiful horn I’ve ever owned.
They both played very well. The Eastlake was just as good as the Cleveland. It played with a bit more focused sound.
I just like the ergonomics of more modern horns.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
In my experience it’s the same in Japan. You can buy Yamahas and Yanagisawas for cheap all day long, but God forbid you want a Selmer or Keilwerth. You’ll pay for those.

·
17,996 Posts
I’ve had both a Super 20 Cleveland silver neck and brass bow and a Super 20 Eastlake Silversonic. The Eastlake was single tenon neck and not undertaking octave, but crazy gorgeous horn. The key ups were engraved and the gold inlay was on the bell. I had metal resonators out on it. Easily the most beautiful horn I’ve ever owned.
They both played very well. The Eastlake was just as good as the Cleveland. It played with a bit more focused sound.
I just like the ergonomics of more modern horns.
Yes, they changed the neck specs when the S20 started being made in Eastlake (I am not referring to over/underslung or the socket, I mean the neck tube design is slightly different). This resulted in a slightly brighter, edgier tone as compared to the Cleve necks, which blow a bit darker and wider.

I once had the opp to have in my shop a pair of 20's, one of the last Cleves and an Eastlake made about 3-4 years into the Eastlake move....and I was able to measure 'em up side-by-side. Yes there were some keytouch/work changes, but the neck specification was the significant difference.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013
4,121 Posts
I paid USD 3.5K for my Eastlake, but this was many years ago, when the market was different; also, aside from a couple of scratches on the bell, it was NOS re-discovered in a storage area of music shop when it was closing down. Haven't regretted it 1 cent. The original neck even has the original Vox Octavoice pickup. I also have a gorgeous Glöger Sterling silver neck that I purchased from Milandro. As far as I can tell, it makes very little difference for the sound. It is "just" a perfect rendition of the original neck. The Eastlakes Super 20s are IMO easily the most undervalued tenor saxophones out there.

·
38,878 Posts
Cheers Braascane :) That neck was one of the original production of Karsten Gloger!

THe USA tenors (I’ve tried several ones) are very good too, there are several which simply fail to sell because their owners are asking Eastlake prices while these are later horns. I have to say they are very very good indeed.

The altos, I am not so sure, never tried a good one of the USA line, but the tenors are every bit as good as my Eastlake.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I've l owned an Eastlake Super 20 tenor and a Super 20 bari with silver necks that were great playing, solid horns overall. The only gripe I had with them was they felt like they had a strong built in sound that was hard for me to work around. I've heard other players sound great on them, but for me they were less versatile than my Bueschers, which seemed more neutral and flexible.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I'm currently playing a '63 Super 20 tenor but also like my '71 Eastlake tenor that I had overhauled with black Roo's and domed metal reso's. I've played a '63 Mark VI for years and now a fan of the Super 20.

·
Registered
537 Posts
I paid USD 3.5K for my Eastlake, but this was many years ago, when the market was different
In fact a lot of sellers are still asking that kind of money for S20s from the 70s. I will have to check Ebay concluded sales because I have somehow missed these cheap S20s that people talk about :(

1 - 20 of 30 Posts