Sax on the Web Forum banner
341 - 345 of 345 Posts

·
Registered
Selmer SII Tenor, Kessler Custom N.S. Tenor, 1950s Buescher Aristocrat
46 Posts
Vino, how is the intonation using the power neck on all your tenors? Any downside compared to the original necks?
I ordered the larger tenon neck for the Buescher so it doesn't fit any of my other horns. And unfortunately I can't compare apples to apples on the Buescher since the original neck was crushed.

Regarding tuning, I haven't put a strobe on it but it sounded like it was in tune with itself for the few hours I tested. It's a backup horn for me so it doesn't get played often. I'll run through it on a tuner and post an update. For the cost of the neck I'm completely happy so far.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
8,698 Posts
I have a Sterling 'Power' neck for my Selmer USA alto.
Back story: many years ago, I cut off the reinforcing ring on the original neck which was a shortening of about 3/16". The horn played flat and I needed to be able to play without jamming the mouthpiece on until it was stopped by the baffle. Over the years I have tried several necks on it without really liking them. Then I got the new Eastern Music neck which did play well on it. Meanwhile, I started wondering if I could use the original neck again so I put a new cork on it and tried it out today. It played okay but intonation was wonky (in years past, I didn't have any kind of tuner except an A chime - now with a tuner on my phone, it's easy to zero in and really see what's going on with a horn). After a few minutes, I put the Eastern Music 'Power' neck on and I instantly realized that this neck is very much better for me on this horn. Checking on the tuner, intonation was much better. It does enable a more 'refined' sound if I want it and has a 'singing' quality that makes me want to play classical. BUT! When I want to rock, it's there.
I guess when I first started using the 'Power' neck in the last couple of years I was thinking that it didn't have the power/guts I need, which is why I was thinking about the original neck, but this actually turned out to be the synthetic reeds I was using. Since I returned to Plasticovers, the horn really came back to life.

ETA: I really would love to play only cane on everything but I need a reed on alto and bari that can sit and stay ready to play. I find that Plasticovers work best for me in that regard while still delivering the cane sound.

·
Just a guy who plays saxophone.
4,823 Posts
There’s a tenor “Mark VI” power neck available in the marketplace for only about $30 above retail…looks like new and the tenon’s already been worked away from the stock 27.5. 🤦‍♂️

·
Registered
50 Posts
Out of curiosity, I bought a couple of silver-plated tenor power necks a couple of years ago or so, one for my 16M and another one for my Balanced Action. They work well but I preferred the original necks; I've been keeping them as backups.

I recently tried the power neck for the 16M on my NWII/10M transitional, and I ended up liking it better than the original one with my mpc/reed setup on it.

341 - 345 of 345 Posts