Sax on the Web Forum banner
281 - 300 of 315 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Thanks again to everyone for the comments. I don't want to beat this to death, so this will be my last post for now, but here are some better pictures, and a bit more info in case anyone else is considering getting one of these necks.

It turns out there are two different issues: clumps of material stuck to the copper (throughout the neck so less likely solder, more likely the material used to fill the neck for bending and hammering, but more like cement than wax!); and patches of a yellow substance that could indeed be yellow ochre but it also is throughout the neck. Running water through the neck did nothing; rubbing the yellow patches with water and a kids' toothbrush did slowly start to remove the yellow gunk but also stained the toothbrush a permanent bright yellow. I don't have a flexible brush I feel like sacrificing, but I suppose it's possible most of this could eventually be cleaned out-or perhaps there's a different solvent that would work better.

FWIW, Eastern Music has been responsive and said they'd either have a tech clean it all out or give me a discount. It would be helpful if they'd be able to specify what the compounds are, but so far no go.

Interesting experiment, might be a fine playing neck, but I'll call it at not worth the extra work!

Fluid Material property Plumbing Cable Gas

·
Registered
107 Posts
OK; I could’ve resist one last post, as I just got another message from Eastern Music. They said:

”Thanks for your prompt reply, and inform us the situation. One of our client who did something as below and kept this neck.

First, he found some sort of yellow-colored substance inside the neck, which he surmises to be a coating used to help separate the pitch or lead from the copper when hammered. That took a bit of scrubbing with various brushes, soap and water. Next, he put a light inside the neck and observed what seemed to be a pool of hardened solder, with more of the yellow substance. He scrubbed again, to no effect, and then tried scraping with tools. Then he applied a torch to the neck, heating up the solder enough to separate it from the neck surface, and ended up removing nearly an ounce of solder. After removing that mass, the neck tone improved remarkably, and it was a little easier blowing.

Please check if possible for you to do that?”

I can’t tell if I’m being trolled or if they are serious. I’m sure their margins aren’t huge and it sounds like overall people have been happy with their products, and mostly received them in ready-to-play condition. Anyway, caveat emptor.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
34,756 Posts
"... Then he applied a torch to the neck, heating up the solder enough to separate it from the neck surface, and ended up removing nearly an ounce of solder. After removing that mass, the neck tone improved remarkably, and it was a little easier blowing.

Please check if possible for you to do that?"

I can't tell if I'm being trolled or if they are serious. I'm sure their margins aren't huge and it sounds like overall people have been happy with their products, and mostly received them in ready-to-play condition. Anyway, caveat emptor.
If you apply enough heat to flow excess solder, you are remarkably close to the temperature for any other solder to flow, including that which holds the neck together.

Try that, and you will certainly void any warranty.

·
Just a guy who plays saxophone.
4,446 Posts
OK; I could've resist one last post, as I just got another message from Eastern Music. They said:

"Thanks for your prompt reply, and inform us the situation. One of our client who did something as below and kept this neck.

First, he found some sort of yellow-colored substance inside the neck, which he surmises to be a coating used to help separate the pitch or lead from the copper when hammered. That took a bit of scrubbing with various brushes, soap and water. Next, he put a light inside the neck and observed what seemed to be a pool of hardened solder, with more of the yellow substance. He scrubbed again, to no effect, and then tried scraping with tools. Then he applied a torch to the neck, heating up the solder enough to separate it from the neck surface, and ended up removing nearly an ounce of solder. After removing that mass, the neck tone improved remarkably, and it was a little easier blowing.

Please check if possible for you to do that?"

I can't tell if I'm being trolled or if they are serious. I'm sure their margins aren't huge and it sounds like overall people have been happy with their products, and mostly received them in ready-to-play condition. Anyway, caveat emptor.
They do have a 30-day return policy...

·
Just a guy who plays saxophone.
4,446 Posts
Indeed. This latest quote was from a days-long quest to get them to just do that. I said I don't have a torch (not that I'd be willing to torch it anyway!) and reiterated that I'd just like to do a return.
I wouldn't want to go at it with a torch either. Others have said they're easy on returns and you only have to ship to California, not China.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
5,484 Posts
Well, I took a plunge and picked up a silver plated "under-slung" Power neck. (Guess it's not a "true" under-slung neck since the pad is on top of the neck...) It was kind of a special order I suppose. On eBay they didn't list any left with the 27.5mm tenons. So, I emailed and had a conversation with Brenda. No problem getting one. I even asked about engraving and again, no problem, no extra cost.

So, took about 2 weeks total time to get. As it turned out, the silver plating looked flawless. (No internal issues as expressed in above posts.) The engraving was not real deep but no big deal since it didn't cost any extra. The tenon was a few hundredths of a mm too big. So, I took some 400 grit sandpaper and basically polished until it fit, snugly into the receiver. Then, I had to take the neck cork down a bit to fit my 6* STM. Finally, with enough cork grease we gotta the mpc on the neck and the neck assembled to my Kessler Custom Deluxe tenor. Also, the under-slung lever that activates opening the neck pip is straight, not curved like most of those mechanisms, so, it did have to be bent out a bit to accomodate the body post for proper operation.

Performance wise, it works quite well. As a matter of fact the bell notes are easier to sound than the original neck. This gives me pause to take that neck in and get some work done on it. If it leaks or doesn't fit quite tight enough, I suppose that could be a reason I've been having some issues with those low bell notes.

So, imho, it definitely wasn't a waste of money. I really bought the neck as a back up neck and a neck in which I could sand down the cork so I could use a NY STM and an HR Vandoren that are too tight for the other neck cork. The STM is currently my main piece on the original neck. It's bore is a bit wider than those other two. I guess I could get the NY and Vando bored out a hundreth or two.

One last tidbit of info is that this Power neck is noticeably lighter than my original neck. Doesn't affect it's performance in any way but it is a data point to be aware of.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Glad to hear it worked for you. Eventually they took mine back (well, had me ship it to Rusty B in Vegas, who has an association with them). They claim they’ll be working on their process to make sure what’s sent out is more finished (and maybe the issues I had were specific to the hammered copper neck). I picked up one of the Barone necks and it’s great (albeit three times the price).

·
5,484 Posts
Glad to hear it worked for you. Eventually they took mine back (well, had me ship it to Rusty B in Vegas, who has an association with them). They claim they'll be working on their process to make sure what's sent out is more finished (and maybe the issues I had were specific to the hammered copper neck). I picked up one of the Barone necks and it's great (albeit three times the price).
Great to hear it all worked out for you as well! My neck does have similar "rings" inside the tenon but nothing like the mystery "lumps" you had in your piece. Barone makes excellent stuff and glad you picked it up!

·
Registered
3,161 Posts
I just got my vintage Kohlert back from a short tech adjustment and to have an EM silver plated neck properly fit to the horn.
Brian, do you know the inner diameter of your Winnenden tenon? I'm again considering an EM neck for my Bixley tenor, which measures 27.8 mm. My tech's not available at the moment, so I'm hoping for a good fit out of the box.

·
Registered
3,442 Posts
I got one of these last year too. Mine played ok but I couldn’t swab it. Not even the small weight would pass through. I thought it was because of a long octave pip, but maybe it was some material as you describe. They was very courteous and took it back (shipped back to Las Vegas) for full refund.

·
5,484 Posts
I got one of these last year too. Mine played ok but I couldn't swab it. Not even the small weight would pass through. I thought it was because of a long octave pip, but maybe it was some material as you describe. They was very courteous and took it back (shipped back to Las Vegas) for full refund.
I had a Hodges swab with a tear drop shaped, rubber coated weight that was supposed to swab the whole sax with the neck on. The weight wouldn't pass through the original neck of my Kessler tenor either. It would definitely get past the swab but not come out the mouthpiece end of the neck. I could go the other way though, force the weight through the mouthpiece end first but it was a minor hassle. I haven't tried it on the new Power neck yet. I'll have to give it a go. At first glance the Power neck does look a bit more open/wider under the cork but I'll have to compare and/or measure more closely to confirm.

I do have an older silk swab with more of a cylindrical rubber coated weight that will go through the body, neck, and mouthpiece fully assembled. I'd look for something like that. Good for quick swabs, put the sax in the case, and swab/clean more thoroughly when more convenient. See if you can find one reasonably priced on the net.

·
Registered
3,442 Posts
It's not the swab, I can assure you. I've owned a couple dozen tenors and this swab passed through all of them with no issues.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Bought 2 of these a few weeks ago..
One for my 1936 conn 10m ( 28.3 ) and one for my 183,000 mk6 ( 27.5 ) I think it was that ..
Both fit superbly well . Measured the originals before ordering.
Great sound and no issues at all.
Think they are made of copper but for the price I wasn't really fussed.
No more paying stupid money for necks .
Question: is

·
Registered
23 Posts
Question: is
Sorry, the keyboard glitched.....isn't the neckjoint on the 10 m tapered? Does the eastern neck also flare? Did you have to have it fitted, or did it cinch right out of the box? Also, I'm wondering if the necks you bought were the power necks...I'm considering the power neck, though I can't imagine getting more sound out of my 10m than it already provides...I'm also looking at a power neck for my MK VI tenor, whicj I purchased with a non-oringinal neck....did the eastern change the response of your MK VI? Thanks for any help you can give with this, I've e mailed my questions to Eastern, but have not heard back. If anyone has contact info for the, I'd appreciate it. When I look at their ebay listings, I do not see many of the eastern necks I have seen mentioned in this forum.

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
41,688 Posts
@mweissba instead of posting a sequence of posts , when having second thoughts you can edit the previous post (right hand side click on the three dots EDIT...)

281 - 300 of 315 Posts