Sax on the Web Forum banner
261 - 280 of 315 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
8,275 Posts
Unless Eastern's quality takes a big jump, I don't think they will be able to keep increasing prices. They're just trying to find out how far they can go before the point of diminished return. Soldering mainly is the problem - sloppy joints and possibly globs of solder in the neck near the small end. You can also find the reinforcing ferrule on the end crudely attached with a gap between it and the actual tip of the neck. I was able to use the Sterling alto neck after filing out the lump of solder and doing some more filing on the ferrule but the Sterling tenor neck didn't do anything for me. As with most everything else made there, the devil is in the details. The advertised tenon sizes don't really mean much as many above have discovered so its a real guessing game with this stuff. As I said, the alto neck definitely is working for me on my Selmer USA alto so success with these is possible.

·
Forum Contributor 2017
8,210 Posts
I just got my vintage Kohlert back from a short tech adjustment and to have an EM silver plated neck properly fit to the horn.

This may be my third EM neck in as many years but on this Kohlert the difference between the new neck and the original neck is like night and day.

The original neck plays with a focused projection and the EM neck is very spread and can obtain more volume and seems more versatile. I love it!

I am having one fit to my Kohlert alto being restored right now.

·
Registered
3,442 Posts
I’ve got a Power Neck for $70 last year from Eflay. At this price I had to try it.

It’s nicely made and it plays fine on my Mark VI tenor, but when I tried to swab it clean, the swab would not go through it. Not even the weighted string tip goes through. It must have a long octave pip tube blocking the way. Can’t see what’s in there from outside.

Has anyone else had this experience too? I wonder whether they did this because it’s easier to make, or because of its acoustic properties.

Does anyone know the effect of the pip tube length on a neck acoustics?

·
Registered
107 Posts
I finally received a hammered copper neck for a balanced action alto, figured it was worth trying at this price...and it arrived with a problem I've not seen descried on this thread: the inside of the neck is full of globs of some kind of yellow material, caked on all over as far as I can see inside of it. Anyone else have this with their EM necks? When I emailed them about it, they said "They are material used on hand hammering making to protect it from the copper. No problem of it" and in a follow-up message "You can try to remove it by Sandpaper or similar things."

Hmm. I certainly can't sand inside the neck (on hammered copper in particular) and I don't want to play the neck at all not knowing what the substance is. It does seem to be at least partially water-soluble. Hopefully they'll take it back or exchange; anyone else seen this?

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
41,688 Posts
is this not the counter face of the hammer indentations?, To my eye ever blob underneath corresponds to a “ dent” above

The entire concept of these necks (but also horns , I’ve spoken about it some time ago) is strange. People go to great lengths to smoothen the surface and then you buy something that is by its own nature brought (again you pattern “ hammer” on top what do you expect the metal to look like underneath if not blobby?).

·
41,688 Posts
this is the thread where I spoke about the Mercury Horns showing the same pattern

I see more and more of these being sold around in the Netherlands. Not a bad return considering the buying price at the source and the fact that most are sold " privately".

Obviously the buyers think that the hammered " dimples" are cool and some even think they work the same (they don't!) as golf balls dimples.

Clearly an example of Cool Vs. Well conceived. Looks over function.

·
41,688 Posts
probably @bmisf refers to something used in the bending of the tube covering the counter face of the dents , difficult to say, so he may clarify.

Selmer, apparently, uses wax, but they form the neck by hand, I think that this may be (as often happens) hydroformed and hard wax may be used in this process

this is a hydroformed neck by Music Medic in the video they say they fill the neck with pitch

·
Registered
107 Posts
So what was wrong with your balanced action neck?
The intonation is pretty wonky-tech agrees. I tried someone else's neck and it was much better; I thought for the price this would be worth a try while I determine a better replacement.

As for the yellow stuff, I was able to rub some off with a damp paper towel and it's mustard-yellow and more like a polishing compound or other powdery substance. Sorry for the terrible picture, perhaps I can get a better one, but it's not reflections of of the high points of the hammering texture, it's definitely blobs of something they left on there. I was hoping Eastern Music might respond with something more specific about what this is, but the comment to sand it off (inside the neck) makes me think the person doing support has no idea.

I was posting here partly to see if anyone else who purchased these necks had this, and partly in response an earlier post about quality going downhill.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Could it be something left behind from soldering work, like ochre (?) powder? If so, that might come out with a bit of baby toothbrush action, maybe aided by some baking soda.

·
Registered
107 Posts
probably @bmisf refers to something used in the bending of the tube covering the counter face of the dents , difficult to say, so he may clarify.

Selmer, apparently, uses wax, but they form the neck by hand, I think that this may be (as often happens) hydroformed and hard wax may be used in this process

this is a hydroformed neck by Music Medic in the video they say they fill the neck with pitch
Thanks, Milandro-cool video, great to see the process. It's very likely something like that-some material or compound they used to help in the shaping and hammering of the neck. It's just odd they left it in there, I'm wondering if this is the case with other necks they've sent out, and it would be nice to know what the substance is and how I best clean it out of the neck. I really don't want to blow it into the bore (and pads) of my BA. If no one here had this experience with these, I'll keep going back and forth with Eastern Music until they have a real answer or swap it out for one that was cleaned out properly. For $110, it's not worth too much hassle or further time... (no other add-on necks I've seen, from name brands or from artisans, have had this, but obviously they're charging more for their time, care and expertise).

·
Registered
107 Posts
Could it be something left behind from soldering work, like ochre (?) powder? If so, that might come out with a bit of baby toothbrush action, maybe aided by some baking soda.

OK; now we're onto something. It absolutely looks like that, and certainly that makes sense near where the tenon is soldered on. The MSDS says it's a suspected carcinogen, not actually water-soluble, so probably best to get it totally cleaned out!

Still curious if this is how they always send them out, or if quality is taking a further dip...

·
41,688 Posts
maybe the inner structure make the neck more difficult to clean , if it is wax some hot water may help.

·
Registered
5,790 Posts
this is the thread where I spoke about the Mercury Horns showing the same pattern

View attachment 103602 View attachment 103603 View attachment 103604
Pre-dented, so you don't have to.

261 - 280 of 315 Posts