Sax on the Web Forum banner
241 - 260 of 330 Posts

·
Just a guy who plays saxophone.
4,468 Posts
when this thread started necks were at $70-80 or thereabouts, now they are considerably more expensive. I've seen one today for $100

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Eastern-mu...630099?hash=item342d14b0d3:g:KL8AAOSwU~VeWyqM
It seems they're priced by what you're getting. Perhaps it's not the best model for business to have your standard tenor necks ranging from $80-120 or so depending on finish and hardware or bracing options and instead charge a base price for the standard models and have higher pricing for the silver and hand hammered models. It looks to me like they're testing out a bunch of different "standard" features to offer as a final set of features for their models. My tenor neck is exactly like the one you linked except it doesn't have the "C10" brace, which I assume is a tribute to the 10m style neck.
Or they're just bumping up prices a bit because they've gained some popularity and want to raise their margin a little...I mean the next cheapest competitors are in the $300 range...are they four times better? Hardly.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2017
Picked up a sax in 2002 and here I am.
2,188 Posts
It seems they're priced by what you're getting. Perhaps it's not the best model for business to have your standard tenor necks ranging from $80-120 or so depending on finish and hardware or bracing options and instead charge a base price for the standard models and have higher pricing for the silver and hand hammered models. It looks to me like they're testing out a bunch of different "standard" features to offer as a final set of features for their models. My tenor neck is exactly like the one you linked except it doesn't have the "C10" brace, which I assume is a tribute to the 10m style neck.
Or they're just bumping up prices a bit because they've gained some popularity and want to raise their margin a little...I mean the next cheapest competitors are in the $300 range...are they four times better? Hardly.
I'd definitely bump the prices if I was at or near production capacity and to improve margins. If the next competitor is charging $300, there is room to move. Was the $300 neck also made in China?

·
Registered
115 Posts
I have some nice aftermarket necks. I started looking because I have an earlier VI with a larger bore neck and I wanted something that takes less air. The necks all are easier to blow and do some things better than the original but each has at least one significant issue. My favorite has a really great, ringing sound but the pitch isn’t as good as the others and it gets resistant in the extreme upper and lower ranges, hurting response.

So, looking for that particular sound with a more even response across registers, I thought I would give a Power Neck a try. I contacted Eastern twice with one question each time. I received very short and not always clear answers from Brenda.

I finally sent this a couple of months ago:

“Hello. I am sorry to bother you again, but I am going to buy one of your necks. However, I have some questions.

You have 9 different necks that say in the description, "Combine Mark VI bore size and SBA appearance." You have one neck that has M6 in the title but no mention of Mark VI in the description. Some of your necks say New Design. Some necks say Power Neck in the description and some have Power Neck stamped on the neck.

So, what is the difference between all these necks as far as bore size, shape, taper, and playability? Is there any difference besides the outward appearance and materials? I am looking for a neck to work on a 5 digit Mark VI.

Thanks for any info you can give me.”

It has been 2 months and no response. Does anybody here know anything specific about the specs on these necks? Does Mark VI bore size also mean the Mark VI bore shape, taper, and profile? I know it’s not a lot of money, but I want to start off with the closest thing they offer to an 80K’ish VI neck.

Thanks.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Update on my Tenor Power Neck:

My sax tech was able to make this work on my Leblanc Vito (Beaugnier). He added a semi-permanent extender to the octave key setup, bent the neck key a little, and expanded the neck tenon (we made a deal with me sanding it down prior, to save some money. To expand the tenon, the outer tenon area had to be reduced to work effectively after expansion).

Results? Hands down, even my sax tech agrees, the Power Neck plays more in tune than the stock (and the horn is overhauled recently, new pads, etc.)

Product Sleeve Bag Pattern Musical instrument

·
Forum Contributor 2017
8,273 Posts
I took delivery of a Power Neck in red brass with Silver Plating and nice engraving to be used with my Kohlert Winnenden and although the tenon it is slightly too large the neck is very nice quality. I will be having my tech replace the tenon with one that will fit. The dimensions are almost exactly the same as the Kohlert neck so its looking good that it might be a good fit. Still waiting on the alto power neck in silver plate.

Attachments

·
Just a guy who plays saxophone.
4,468 Posts
The tenor neck I got is a really good one. The alto neck may have been a return because someone had done a bad job sanding down the tenon and made it a bit uneven in spots (tenor one was perfectly round and factory finished). It was a hair big for my alto but I (gently) worked it on to try and it was definitely a good candidate. I kind of forgot about returning it in time...now it just sits.

·
Forum Contributor 2017
8,273 Posts
I just received an alto and tenor neck in silver plate. The alto was a perfect fit for my vintage Kohlert. The tenor is too large so my tech is going to sand it down. If not successful we will replace the tenon. Quality has improved since the last time I bought a EM tenor neck in 2017. The vintage style necks with old school wire octave mechanism are a beautiful sight to behold.

·
Registered
Selmer MarkVII Tenor
852 Posts
what can be done to solve that my Power Neck is just a little less diameter than the Mark VII receiver and it gets loose ?
The horn receiver takes a 27.5 and the actual diameter of the neck tenon which arrived is 27.35 mm, so it is a little loose... what could be done ?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2017
Picked up a sax in 2002 and here I am.
2,188 Posts
The well equipped tech will have a tenon expanding tool that should be able to expand the .15 needed.

·
Registered
Selmer MarkVII Tenor
852 Posts
I am asking my technician if he has a tenon expanding tool... but .. if he does not have that tool , what more can be done ? what about doing some galvanic coating to increase diameter ?

·
Registered
Selmer MarkVII Tenor
852 Posts
i wrote to my tech and he answered that he can do it ...

·
Forum Contributor 2017
8,273 Posts
I don't understand why a tech would not have the tools for that job. My tech has a whole second shop of saws, and welding equipment and paint booth.

These are tools of their trade.

241 - 260 of 330 Posts