Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
531 Posts
Ok, so I took a chance and bought one of these! It's the copper tenor neck, under-slung model:

-For the price, it is well made and seems to be put together alright and different points of construction.
-Plays in tune on my sax (1960's Leblanc Vito, Kenosha built), with exception of high F...it is a little flat.
-There IS a difference in sound, in a good way!

However, the neck is just too loose for my tenon receiver for the sax (I used some masking tape to seal it). I ordered a 27.5 MM, but this is actually closer to 26.X MM. Asking the seller if I exchange it for the 28.2 MM (which may be the correct size).

Alternatively, do you think my sax tech could easily fix this? (trying to remember, is it better to have it too loose when making these type of adjustments?)

·
Registered
531 Posts
My Beaugnier tenon is right at 28mm. No sure if that's the same thing you got.
Did you buy the Eastern Tenor 28.2 size neck? Does it work on your sax?

Actually, VERY close! Here is my Vito Tenor neck:
Audio equipment Cable Auto part Wire Gas

And here is the Eastern Tenor neck:
Product Finger Cable Rectangle Auto part

Something to note...the Vito neck fits slightly loose, and tightens with tenon screw. The original Leblanc end plug fits fairly tight, and I measured it, too.
Camera accessory Camera lens Point-and-shoot camera Cameras & optics Reflex camera

Zephyrwolf, did the 28.2 mm work for you?

·
Registered
531 Posts
One thing I do not understand, tho...you say the Vito neck (at 27.97) fits loosely until you tighten thumbscrew. But you say the end plug (at 27.85) fits snugly without tightening screw....

????

Is the neck tenon diameter consistent all around, at 27.97...or does it vary in some places ...?
Yes, it apparently is. The middle of it is also narrower in some places.

Looks like Arnold from Eastern Music will send me the 28.2 neck.

·
Registered
531 Posts
UPDATE:

Eastern was good to me, and exchanged the necks

Vito neck/27.97mm
Automotive lighting Finger Tool Cable Bicycle part

Eastern neck/28.18mm
Hand Computer keyboard Gadget Finger Material property

Question: Can my tech make this work, within reason?

·
Registered
531 Posts
Update on my Tenor Power Neck:

My sax tech was able to make this work on my Leblanc Vito (Beaugnier). He added a semi-permanent extender to the octave key setup, bent the neck key a little, and expanded the neck tenon (we made a deal with me sanding it down prior, to save some money. To expand the tenon, the outer tenon area had to be reduced to work effectively after expansion).

Results? Hands down, even my sax tech agrees, the Power Neck plays more in tune than the stock (and the horn is overhauled recently, new pads, etc.)

Product Sleeve Bag Pattern Musical instrument

1 - 6 of 6 Posts