Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
8,693 Posts
I ordered one just this morning prior to reading this thread.
I got the SBA copper model.
I’m hoping it’s a good match for my Selmer Super Series Tenor.
Although I have the original neck it has had a pick up plug removed and patched on the underside.
While I don’t believe this has had any negative affect on how it plays, a second neck that I can cork a little thinner would allow for the different bore sizes of my two main pieces.
If it doesn’t work, I haven’t broken the bank and it may just be the right neck for another horn I have here with a severely damaged neck.

·
8,693 Posts
Back to the thread.

I own several of these, and engraved one of the dark lacquer "power necks" and it looks/plays outstandingly well on SBA and VI tenors. I have one of the Conn-sized necks as well, and it made my transitional sound somewhere between the SBA and a 10M (think compact but warm). For the money, you cannot beat these. In my case, my SBA needed a replacement neck, so it was a whim purchase. I then bought a bunch of them because they are so good.

My Selmer version:

View attachment 246504
View attachment 246506
View attachment 246508
Beautiful Engraving work Jason.
I take it the brass was thick enough not to present any problems while Engraving?

·
8,693 Posts
I got my neck in a couple of weeks ago.
It’s actually really well made and tunes quite well also.
Only I stuffed up with my measurements and ordered the 27.5 when I really needed the 28.2.
If anyone has an engraved power neck with a 28.2 tenon that they’d like to swap for a 27.5, let me know.
Preferably in Australia due to shipping costs etc.

·
8,693 Posts
The neck angle of mine seems pretty damn close to my Selmer Super Series neck.
The octave pad is crap and needs to be replaced and I may need to tweak the pip a little, but it’s promising.

·
8,693 Posts
I resized my tenon for a better fit to my Selmer Super today.
And whilst at it I removed the inner edge of the cork ring which then made the inner diameter identical to the original neck.
This seems to have really transformed how this neck plays.
The slight gurgling I had previously has gone and the neck seems a little less resistant than before.
I’m extremely happy with how it is now performing.

·
8,693 Posts
I was using mine again on the weekend and noticed that it certainly seemed to perform better with some mouthpieces than others.
This may just be due to the little extra resistance the Power neck seems to provide.
More noticeable in the lower end of the horn than elsewhere.

·
8,693 Posts
I had put my power neck aside for a while and was using only the original neck.
But a couple of days ago I put it on again because the cork on my original neck needs to be replaced and it played better than I recalled.
I’ll be using it a lot more now.

·
8,693 Posts
I ordered the smaller Diameter neck through eBay by mistake.
Once I received it I soon realised.
I contacted the seller and explained my mistake and they happily agreed to exchange it for the correct one.
Cost me a few extra dollars in return shipping, but I’ve now got a neck I can use and still at a bargain price.

·
8,693 Posts
My Power neck does have also this kind of inner Edge at the Cork ring...I am going to try to Remove it as you do , in order to have exactly the same Diameter as my Selmer Mark 7 neck.
I have tuning problems with the power neck , with E3 and F3 SHARP...!

Any recommendation ?
If these notes are also sharp with the original neck, could experiment with the palm key heights.

·
8,693 Posts
I ordered a SBA style neck, in champagne gold color though they shipped me a bright gold one.
Just get in contact with them, I’m sure they’ll sort it out.
They were great when I accidentally ordered the wrong neck tenon size, I just sent it back and they sent me the right one at no extra cost.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts