Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had this mouthpiece since the 1970's It came with one of the Yamaha sopranos I had (wish I still had the horns). Can't remember which model though. I have long since lost the special ligature with the matching notch on top - unless I come across it someday going thru boxes in the basement. As you can see in the picture, it will work (sort of) with a regular ligature (if you don't mind that ligature getting bent a little out of round) but it would work so much better if I grind off that center ridge that locked into the original ligature. Or I could shape a more defined notch into the standard ligature shown in the picture below.

This is refaced to a 7* and it plays/sounds great! You don't see these mouthpieces very often and I thought I should ask what you guys think before I remove that centering ridge on the top. Is this the sort of thing that I should leave on in case I sell it one day -- maybe someone with a vintage Yamaha soprano wanting the original goofy mouthpiece? Since it has been refaced (it wasn't anything to write home about with the stock facing - it was very narrow tip opening) and the matching ligature would be pretty hard to find it makes sense to me to take that ridge off. Or I could easily modify this stock ligature by shaping the corresponding notch.

what do you guys think? Does anyone remember which model this would have come with?

Wood Hardwood Flooring Bumper Wood stain

·
Registered
Yanigasawa S-6 soprano, Yamaha YAS-62 Alto; Selmer Mk VI Tenor; Martin Committee III Baritone
213 Posts
I have one from that era for tenor with the notch. A Rovner lig works fine on it. The tension screw passes right over top.

·
Distinguished SOTW member/, Official SOTW Sister
20,077 Posts
I have one for tenor and alto WITH the original ligatures.
Keep the ridge and use a rovner or some other inverted lig. They're too cool looking to alter.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts