Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

· Registered
641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Who has information about such saxophones? Sound, convenience of keywork...
Serial numbers to 11,000. Years of production: 1950 - 1960s. External features: wire keyguards, rolled tone holes, thick metal. Foto from Ebay
Musical instrument Reed instrument Reed String instrument Wind instrument

· Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
20,359 Posts
All I can give you is my opinion, based on the 8 or 9 I have refurbed:

They were robust horns, for sure. Very substantial, nice sounding, precision generally much better than the last decade of Welts, keywork and action...OK....not bad but not as responsive as, say, a top shelf American of the same time period....

· Registered
2,856 Posts
The early Weltklang's are, in some respects, similiar to the late model Akustik saxes. Personally I like the "Klangers" from the mid 60s. I agree with JayeLID - the later 80s models were not as good. They're not bad but they\'re not as good. The later models are brighter and lack the bottom end oomph of the earlier models. I have dealt with mid 60s / mid 70s and mid 80s models - and the mid 60s are my favourites. Mine attached...

Musical instrument Reed instrument Wind instrument Brass instrument Woodwind instrument

· Registered
641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Alex, I thought you were the expert on Weltklangs?
Hi Adam, Earlier I personally didn't own early altos or tenors of Weltklang. And therefore I am interested in the personal opinion of the owners of such saxophones..

JayeLID,
Interesting to hear your opinion about pads for these horns.
Which pads are better for such instruments? Original (plain), with rivets, with metal or plastic resonators?

· Forum Contributor 2017
“I play sax but mostly it plays me”
10,034 Posts
I’ve had several and although decent players and solid build the ergonomics were a real turn off for me.

· Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
20,359 Posts
JayeLID,
Interesting to hear your opinion about pads for these horns.
Which pads are better for such instruments? Original (plain), with rivets, with metal or plastic resonators?
On 60's and later Welts, their original pads (someone correct me if I am wrong) were their own in-house synthetic pads with the flat resos, I think....I always found those curious, and I always salute attempts at creating a non-leather pad. But by the time the horns got to me, the pads weren't really performing well any longer.

I cannot recall if the pre-60's ones had those kinda pads or not.

I have used domed reso or flat reso on my refurbs of them. I don't think it so much matters which...I just think given the inborn/natural 'roar' of Welts, resos (at least standard sized) are a must.

· Registered
98 Posts
I was playing Weltklang tenor when I was a teenager, many decades ago. My advice - skip Weltklang, try B&S Blue Label. Same factory, but the much better horn than Weltklang. Not all vintage horns are worth trying.

· Registered
98 Posts
Have you early Weltklang (as on the photo) or other type?
I was playing Weltklang in the early '80 and it was a brand new instrument. But I've never heard anything good about earlier Weltklangs too. In Poland there are A LOT of Weltklang saxophones, almost all saxophonists here have some experience with this brand and we don't like it at all.

Many people here are trying to sell Weltklang saxophones at a very low price, but almost no one buys them. It is like "avoid for all cost" syndrome :). Seriously, don't waste your money on Weltklang.

· Registered
641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thank you for your opinion. The theme here is exclusively about early saxophones. Early and late are different instruments. On the other hand, my practice (about a hundred different saxophones) has shown that different types of resonators can both improve or degrade sound. I can assume that replacing the original metal resonators on plastic ones on your late Weltkalng tenor could radically change your mind about this saxophone.

· Registered
6 Posts
Here is my personal opinion: Weltklang started 1950, B&S (Blue Label) started 1969. So completely different decades - actually not comparable.
And Weltklang is not Weltklang! I'm a fan of the early Weltklangs. My favourite and recommended set-up: Matt/Shiny silver plating, full pearls, wire guards. I own a tenor with SN 47XX from 1955. I got it refurbished using pads with metal resonators. This one has a VERY unique sound, I like it very much. Extremely dark! Intonation is absolutely OK. The only disadvantage is the ergonomics. Not modern at all.
I have an Alto with SN 14xxx. The same features as the tenor, except the wire guards. This one has guards from press parts. Ergonomics is much better than an Alto with wire key guards. And it is much younger (from 1962). But again, very good intonation and great sound. Not as dark as the tenor, but I like it as well very much.

So, for me the early Weltklangs can be really great horns! Let's say, until beginning of the 60s? Maybe, you need to be lucky? But again, try to look for Full Pearls and Matt/Shiny silver plating. Why should such beautiful horns be of bad quality?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts