Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
956 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just recently seemed to be able to score about 5 or Jerry Bergonzi's early LPs from the 80s. They are on low-budget indy labels such as "NotFat" & "Plug" records.
Most are from around 1982-86, with group named Con Brio & "Gonz".

Wow, really great stuff. Such great playing. One is called "Gonz: Front End", featuring a trio with Bruce Gertz & Bob Guillotti. Really "power" all-the-way, for lack of a better word. There's alot of talk about Steve Grossman, here, as of late, but this guy, wow, back then was really right there with him on the Trane stuff.

These LPs are well worth searching for...go to Google & get cracking!!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2009
4,567 Posts
I have a bunch of these (maybe all of these) they are great!!! Front End comes to mind (liner notes by Tim Price).
I actually think that this is some of the best Bergonzi out there. I got to dig these out, but there is some great stuff with Mick Goodrick on guitar, Salvator Bonefede? piano....
This stuff really should be re-released on CD or Mp3.

·
Registered
251 Posts
I remember the first LP I bought with Jerry on it was Dave Brubeck's Paper Moon. Talk about a juxtaposition of styles. He absolutely floored me back then and I still pull that album out to this day. I'm going to need to look for some of those Gonz records.

On a side note: I ended up getting my first Grossman album (Perspective 1979) as a Christmas present from my mom. She didn't know anything about it except that it had a saxophone on the cover...could have ended up a lot worse but she did pretty well. I wore that record out. ;-)

http://www.discogs.com/Steve-Grossman-Perspective/release/2398383
-Barry

·
Forum Contributor 2016, Distinguished SOTW Member
12,787 Posts
Oh my Gosh. That brings back memories. I used to have all of these. When I cam to Boston in 87 I bought all of them. It was some of the craziest intense music I ever listened to. I didn't understand any of it but loved it. I foolishly gave all my albums to a friend in the 90's after CD's came out, I would love to hear those again. Are they out of print? or can you get them some where?

·
4,567 Posts
Oh my Gosh. That brings back memories. I used to have all of these. When I cam to Boston in 87 I bought all of them. It was some of the craziest intense music I ever listened to. I didn't understand any of it but loved it. I foolishly gave all my albums to a friend in the 90's after CD's came out, I would love to hear those again. Are they out of print? or can you get them some where?
I believe that they are out of print....Again this stuff really should be out there! ( I wonder if you could still find them at Looney Tunes?)

·
Forum Contributor 2016, Distinguished SOTW Member
12,787 Posts
I believe that they are out of print....Again this stuff really should be out there! ( I wonder if you could still find them at Looney Tunes?)
Is that the record store near Berklee? I used to love that place. Someone should convert these to bootleg mp3's if they aren't going to be released again. I used to listen to these like they were from another planet. they blew my mind.

·
Distinguished SOTW Columnist and Saxophonistic Art
6,260 Posts
Oh, yeah. How about that? I see it. Tim Price liner notes. He's everywhere:)
LOL...Everywhere...Just like a cheap suit. haha...But you are right Obelisk - these are fantastic recordings. " Front End Gonz" is one of my fav' all time recordings of Jerrys. I'm telling you someting of course you are already hearing...but THE SOUND and freedom he is playing with is mind blowing.

Now- here's another thought. Imagone if THESE were put out on BlueNote ? That could be interesting. Or re-issued on a Mosaic kinda thing. Box set etc etc. All were doe in Boston too! Not NYC. Jerry had already moved back and set up home base. And some of these have Jeff Williams on them too!

GREAT POST...Hope folks take the time to look for these. GREAT MUSIC.

·
4,567 Posts
I'm not sure which album.... "Front End?" Bergonzi's version of Theme for Ernie amazing!!! I think Bergonzi is great on it, but Bruce Gertz is just perfect in support.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,535 Posts
There is a Bergonzi CD called Lineage on the RED record label. Bergonzi does Inner Urge on this, and it is BY FAR the greatest rendition of this tune I have ever heard. His statement of the head, followed by a solo that will leave you in a state of speechless, happy PTSD (post traumatic solo disorder). Yes its THAT good. One of those really special records that I would consider for the desert island.

I have all of these above mentioned early Gonz Records, and love them, but on this particular outing, Bergonzi reaches a another, higher level that compares favorably with the greatest Rollins, Trane, Getz, Pres recordings. Really one of the greatest things I've ever heard anyone ever do in Jazz, and thats coming from me, one those jaded, been there done that New York types who is not easily impressed. Check it out this incredible, epic Gonz performance. Its simply awesome.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias=aps&field-keywords=bergonzi+Linneage&x=0&y=0

·
Registered
573 Posts
I have a handful of this stuff on cassette...might be able to transfer to CD over the next few months...I agree these are awesome JAB, maybe my favorite recordings for tone by Jerry, not to mention the overall vibe of the music. I'll keep you posted if/when I can arrange to get them transferred...

Also, that "Perspective" side of Grossman's: One of the first recordings that sealed the deal for me when I was 18...wore it out...have the lead sheets too for some of the tunes. No one "goes for it" like Grossman, even on a Stevie Wonder tune! Love that recording...monsterous, intense, tenor playing (some soprano too) that influenced me greatly to this day.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Not Fat and Plug were owned by Bruce Gertz I believe. I had all those lp's and transferred them to CDR. You could catch these cats at the Willow in Somerville MA on many nights. One of the last sessions on Not Fat was "Caught in the Act" live in Australia w/ Salvatore Bonafede on Piano, the version of Softly in a Morning Sunrise is some of this groups best IMO. I think Jerry is playing Piano and/or drums on some of those sessions also. Last time I spoke with Gertz he told me that he gets many requests to issue the early stuff on disc.

·
Forum Contributor 2008/Distinguished SOTW Member
3,295 Posts
He should at least release them on mp3. WIth the advent of USB turntables it's not a difficult process.

I must say I come back to Lineage a LOT. I have much of the stuff with Salvatore, it just kills...

He is such a wonder. So inspiring.

·
Banned
2,814 Posts
Not Fat and Plug were owned by Bruce Gertz I believe. I had all those lp's and transferred them to CDR. You could catch these cats at the Willow in Somerville MA on many nights. One of the last sessions on Not Fat was "Caught in the Act" live in Australia w/ Salvatore Bonafede on Piano, the version of Softly in a Morning Sunrise is some of this groups best IMO. I think Jerry is playing Piano and/or drums on some of those sessions also. Last time I spoke with Gertz he told me that he gets many requests to issue the early stuff on disc.
+1! I used to go hear those guys at the Willow as much as I could. The only trick was either leaving before the Red Line stopped running for the night, or ask Bruce to give me a ride back to Berklee and walk home from there! "Caught in the Act" is one incredible record and the version of "Softly" (which takes up one entire side of the record, doesn't it?).......is simply amazing. I'm going to have to dig that album out again!

John

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Caught in the Act is still one of my favourite Gonz albums. I'd love to figure out a way to convert it to MP3 (or find someone who already has)

·
Registered
956 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
It's pretty easy to convert vinyl to CD. Do a search on google.

It's probably a good guess that the guy that owns & put out these records, Bruce Gertz, is not living a fabulous lifestyle off these records, so I for one, won't be converting these, to distribute to the SOTW cats.
It would be nice if he could bring them out on CD, or make a deal with someone like Aebersold to do so. I believe there would be enough interest to make this financially worth it. (but I could be wrong)

·
3,295 Posts
It's pretty easy to convert vinyl to CD. Do a search on google.

It's probably a good guess that the guy that owns & put out these records, Bruce Gertz, is not living a fabulous lifestyle off these records, so I for one, won't be converting these, to distribute to the SOTW cats.
It would be nice if he could bring them out on CD, or make a deal with someone like Aebersold to do so. I believe there would be enough interest to make this financially worth it. (but I could be wrong)
Or if Bruce can convert them to mp3 he can seel them as downloads on a site and there would be very little overhead/startup cost. Wouldn't even have to print the CDs. Kind of like whate Gene Perla did with the Stone Alliance stuff.

·
3,295 Posts
also an FYI. emusic.com has a lot of Bergonzi stuff on mp3 including the Standards Band and the Brubeck and Galper stuff. Check it...

And Steve Grossman.

·
Registered
190 Posts
I think what's important to remember here is that these guys (Bergonzi, Grossman)are both incredible musicians and have sounded great from the very beginning it's nothing new. The real shame is that not everyone has had the chance to discover them. Sad reality is that $$$ dominates who many of us know about. IT'S ABOUT THE RECORD COMPANIES LACK OF EXPOSURE TO THE WORLD. For example Dave Koz is a well known name yet very few know about Frank Tiberi, Steve Grossman, Sal Nistico, ...don't get me started. LONG LIVE GROSSMAN, and BERGONZI!!!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts