Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know we’ve been through this a thousand times, but what really defines a Tone Edge as an “Early Babbitt”?
I didn’t want to crap on a guys sale thread, but I thought the appearance of the little number in the chamber was the end of them and they’re just like the current production.
Now I’m seeing 2nd generation, 3rd generation.
I had one with the little 1 in the chamber and it did have the clamshell baffle but the “dip of dark death” right after it.

·
Forum Contributor 2016, Distinguished SOTW Member
12,802 Posts
I know we’ve been through this a thousand times, but what really defines a Tone Edge as an “Early Babbitt”?
I didn’t want to crap on a guys sale thread, but I thought the appearance of the little number in the chamber was the end of them and they’re just like the current production.
Now I’m seeing 2nd generation, 3rd generation.
I had one with the little 1 in the chamber and it did have the clamshell baffle but the “dip of dark death” right after it.
The more time goes by the more the "vintage" title has to move forward. I see vintage ads now and click on them and they are from the early 90's!

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
If they don't have the steep beak drop I don't even look any further. To hard for me to identify after that.

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
For me, the baffle has to have a certain shape and height - clam-shaped baffle and high floor. The beak is the same as the last line of the slant signature and there are milling lines on the table. The body is somewhat slim and the table is wide. There are links from the 80s that have a nice baffle but the floor is low etc. Also, certain redacted have reshaped the baffles of 80s links to look like the EB. Some have taken those and sold them as an Early Babbitt. Even though some play great, I won’t buy something that isn’t what it is claimed to be.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
12,712 Posts
Everyone on ebay seems to think they have an EB.

Especially people who have just seen the letters and dollar signs and have no idea what they are selling.

Pardon the plug here but even Babbitt says my Sapphire core is almost exactly an eb chamber. I can make it any degree of baffle for a hell of a lot less than a fake EB!

Ive played them next to each other and they are very close...the biggest difference in that the Sapphire has a faster response.

[end of unsolicited intrusive ad]

1 - 6 of 6 Posts