Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2009
4,507 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, in a continuing effort to shed some light over the buescher tenors, I've compared my favorite breed of Buescher tenors (pre 156 aristocrats) with a number of horns that i've always thought had comparable qualities (tonal qualities that is).

As it turns out, most of the tenors I find comparable in tone quality are about a clone of each other.

Conn transitional (chu/10M) Buescher Big B 295k, Selmer Radio Improved 19k, Late 10M no microtuner no RTH 365k, Selmer Balanced Action 26k.

ALL OF THEM HAVE THE EXACT SAME BODY SHAPE; TAPER ANGLE; TONE HOLE PLACEMENT (except the BA wich has a larger side F# hole and maybe some models having slightly different palm key tone hole sizing, serial number related variances there)

the biggest differences I can find are the Selmer necks having a way more gracious curve and a little less bore (as in less internal volume) wich given the same main body could explain to some extent why they sound a tad more "centered" or "elegant" (as in less beef to the tone) and the low notes are somewhat sharper on those horns.

all of this may come in handy when you cannot explain why you can't make a definitive choice when you compare similar horns. One ends up choosing based on keywork or being accustomed (or not!) to each keyboard layout. EG I love Conns but I hate the pinky tables on them, and the placement of the Bb bis pearl in relation with the LH index finger and the LH pinky table makes me wanna use dirty words towards the CG Conn Ltd engineering department...

BTW If you're going crazy about your early selmer bow notes intonation, and A2 and below are a region where you don't find the need to loosen up your jaws, as in the pitch being from well centered to just a tad flat, well, if you have your neck retapered it goes away. If you don't believe so, just try an old panam or conn neck, or a buescher aristocrat neck on your selmer and see what happens!

1 - 1 of 1 Posts