Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2011
781 Posts
In my opinion, the voice is the best ear training tool. I use it when transcribing, learning tunes by ear, sight-singing, and composing. The first step was learning to match pitch with my sax and the piano, then learning to sing scales and intervals, matching bass notes with tunes, etc... Now I can't even listen to or think about music without getting my voice involved (much to the dismay of my family members).

Randy
www.randyhunterjazz.com
Online Jazz Lessons and Books
New Lesson:
Making Sense of Jazz Improvisation
Lesson Series:
Introduction to the Blues
The Arpeggio Circle
Through the Keys
and more...
Lessons page: www.beginningsax.com/Jazz Improv Lessons.htm
Rhythm Changes Demo: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SrT0Xw_y9d0
Rhythm Changes Lesson:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tMOW7QAfpwo

·
Grafton alto | Martin Comm III tenor
28,951 Posts
Singing.

• Sing along with tracks
  • Sing the scales, long notes exercise etc. that you practice
  • Join a choir
  • Get singing lessons
  • Sing songs along with pno/gtr etc.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,870 Posts
Any tips on how to hear chords better? I can hear the root movement but i have trouble hearing the chord quality

·
28,951 Posts
Any tips on how to hear chords better? I can hear the root movement but i have trouble hearing the chord quality
Do you play any keyboards? (or guitar, but keyboards is best)

You don't need to be a concert pianist, just enough to play the chord notes and move around a bit.

·
2,870 Posts
Do you play any keyboards? (or guitar, but keyboards is best)

You don't need to be a concert pianist, just enough to play the chord notes and move around a bit.
Yeah a bit. I have piano lessons, and i play the chords of songs with rootless voicings etc. But it's still hard for me

·
28,951 Posts
Yeah a bit. I have piano lessons, and i play the chords of songs with rootless voicings etc. But it's still hard for me
Rootless voicings are good for pianists, but you need the root to train yourself to hear the root quailty.

I learnt a neat way when I was at college:

Play root 3rd and 7th in left hand, then melody and any other note (e.g. 5th) in your right. It works well as a nice musical open sound.

Or I just play the cheap and cheerful way: whole chord (R 3 5 7) in LH and melody in right. Not so musical but you hear the chord at least.

·
Registered
299 Posts
For hearing the chord quality, I would recommend associating the sound of those chords with songs you've heard before or associate them with a certain mood (some people think Minor chords with a major 7 sound like an old tv cop show, or minor 7 chords sound dreamy).

Also learn the predictability of the movements and bass lines while practicing the piano. Try what Pete said with the 3rds and 7ths, then sing one and play the other to hear the resolutions.

·
2,870 Posts
Normally when i practice songs on the piano i play the bass note or walking bass in the left hand and rootless chord in the right.

For close position chord i play

G in left hand and f, a, Bb, d in my right for g minor and then

C in left hand and e, a Bb, d in my right for c7 and then

F in left hand and E, g, a, c in my right for f major

for more open i play

G left hand and Bb, d, f, a in right for g minor
C in left hand and Bbm, d, e, a in right for c7
f in left hand and a, c, e, g in right for f major

When using this for minor II- V's I use the root instead of the 9th because i cant make up my mind which one sounds better(9th or b9th). I resolve the root to the b13th for the dominant chord.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013
631 Posts
transcriptions :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts