Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The bandmaster of a community band that I play in decided to relocate the trumpet/cornet section behind me. These trumpeters love to play too loud in general and especially where there is a loud section in their music when they play so loud that they become much more out of tune than they usually are.

What kind of earplugs will benefit me?

:rabbit:

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,310 Posts
I have the custom/musician earplugs as well as the hr20xs for when I don't have my 'good' plugs with me. They work well and much cheaper than a hearing aid.
Highly recommend protecting your hearing,

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2007-
7,194 Posts

·
3,037 Posts
From an audiological perspective the Etymotic Music Pro are about as good as it gets, in terms of active attenuation, quality of sound, reduction of occlusion and actual hearing protection.
If you just want a passive attenuation level then most custom made musicians ear plugs will do the trick, as long as the level of attenuation sufficient to get your daily noise exposure down to a safe level.
And, if you think high quality ear plugs are expensive....they're a LOT cheaper than hearing aids......

·
Banned
2,967 Posts
i always did love the trombones behind us saxophones in the chairs....
pity the trombone players with those trumpets behind them.....!
good luck.....
cheers,philip

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have the custom/musician earplugs as well as the hr20xs for when I don't have my 'good' plugs with me. They work well and much cheaper than a hearing aid.
Highly recommend protecting your hearing,
Please explain to me. The website is not so clear for me to understand. Stupid me!

The hr15 filter seems a good choice from the earplugs purveyor that you recommended, but it seems that a custom plug fitting must be first fashioned to accept the filter to complete the earplugs. Do I have this correct?

The cost of the custom plug fitting is very expensive -- $300 for one custom plug pair, or is it $600 for two individual plug fittings? Not clear.

The cost of the filter to mount i the plug is about 10% of the plug (if each plug is individually about $300 each), an additional expense for each complete earplug. Do I have this correct?

How to have the custom-made plug fitting made? Where to go to have someone pour a liquid dollop into the ear, wait for it to harden, then pull it out without leaving some part of it behind? Would the location for the service affect either the quality or the price of that service? Do I understand correctly?

Since the acoustic filter is made by one company and the plug fitting by another one (is this correct?), if something goes awry in the manufacture of the complete earplug, would the blame game between the two companies hinder restitution of the buyer?

:rabbit:

·
Indistinguishable Resident Buescher Bigot and Foru
8,588 Posts
Any audiologist can help you with fitting the custom plugs. They won't leave anything behind, I promise. :) The Etymotics are the ones I use too. Yup, $300/pr, but you can't do better, and you can order them with 3 filters. I have 15db (useful for most things), 25db (funk band), and 30db (when nothing less will work because there's a Marshall stack turned up to 11 behind you).

Frankly, I don't usually use them for big band things, and usually prefer a helmet for those occasional wayward 7th position trombone slides. On the other hand I know people that wear the 15db plugs to just practice by themselves.

·
5,092 Posts
From an audiological perspective the Etymotic Music Pro are about as good as it gets, in terms of active attenuation, quality of sound, reduction of occlusion and actual hearing protection.
If you just want a passive attenuation level then most custom made musicians ear plugs will do the trick, as long as the level of attenuation sufficient to get your daily noise exposure down to a safe level.
And, if you think high quality ear plugs are expensive....they're a LOT cheaper than hearing aids......
I was like... "active attenuation?! Nuh uh!" Then I looked at their site. Holy wow! Didn't know anything like that existed! Perfect for bar gigs where they won't give an IEM mix. That's on my "gotta have" list!

·
3,037 Posts
I was like... "active attenuation?! Nuh uh!" Then I looked at their site. Holy wow! Didn't know anything like that existed! Perfect for bar gigs where they won't give an IEM mix. That's on my "gotta have" list!
They are the real deal. I don't own any but some of my friends do and love them. My wife is also an audiologist so we talk about this stuff all the time.
It's scary how easy it is to damage your hearing.........

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2014
5,167 Posts
Been using Custom Earplugs for almost 20 years. Well worth the money. Hearing aid places can make the molds and order the filters. Apparently, police office purchase these types of earplugs for range shooting. You can sometimes get a deal by buying more the one set (Which I recommend)

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013
7,356 Posts
Personally I can't stand them. But yes, I will be deaf someday
I know exactly what you mean. Just messes with the inner ear and hearing yourself too much.

Even the in ear monitors just straight up mess with my connection to what's going on. If it get's really loud I might stuff a little toilet paper on the outside of my ear. But not plugging it.

Luckily I don't play in huge stage set ups very often. And the ones I do seem not much louder than the weekly bar gigs.

·
Registered
7,862 Posts
I had custom ER15, filters are still good, but the tab broke off. and as a sax playing hearing aid guy told me the molds need to be replaced every couple years as your inner ear shape/size can change. I know I was forever pushing them in as they, like most ear plugs, work their way out as you are playing/singing. I've been using EarPeace plugs for a while, they come with two sets of filters, and are quite comfortable. playing with earplugs (never mind singing) takes some getting used to, espeically since you can sometimes NOT know how you are blending with the rest of the band, but saving your hearing is worth it.

·
Registered
181 Posts

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
The bandmaster of a community band that I play in decided to relocate the trumpet/cornet section behind me. These trumpeters love to play too loud in general and especially where there is a loud section in their music when they play so loud that they become much more out of tune than they usually are.

What kind of earplugs will benefit me?:rabbit:
I don't know of any earplugs that will help your trumpet section to play in tune.

·
Registered
7,862 Posts
The key to custom molded ear plugs is the mold must be deep enough to prevent occlusion...I don't thnk mine were quite deep enough. You can get a kit to do it yourself, but it's something I would leave to the professionals.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Occlusion has always been an issue for me even with custom molded plugs. I use IEM's for my band now and it's great when you have a great mix. I haven't tried the active etymotic's, though I've heard nothing but great things about them from trusted people. Only problem is, none of them are horn players.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts