Sax on the Web Forum banner
61 - 73 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
296 Posts
I use the E-Sax quite a bit since I live in an old house with hardwood floors and have two daughters that take naps during my practice time.

I have issues with the ergonomics too. It's like it was made so that your arms come into the thing perpendicular to the horn--not at all comfortable for the side keys and it makes my left hand fingers hit the keys at a strange angle. It actually prevents me from practicing much technical exercises because I don't see the point in practicing technical things with bad hand position.

Does anyone know if you can buy replacement neoprene hand openings? I am considering taking a pair of scissors to mine to see if I can improve the angle of my hands. If the left hand opening was positioned about 3 or 4 inches farther back I think it would be way more comfortable.

·
Banned
28,511 Posts
Rayburn's Music told me that they have ordered replacements often for a customer who wears them out very fast. They also told me the customer was looking into buying sheets of neoprene to make DIY replacements.
Aren't the hand opening pieces covered by the warranty of the mute? If not they should be. Mine right hand one started to tear after about 3 months of use. I don't think it is right to have to pay for replacements for something that is meant to allow your hand and wrist to go through it if they didn't design it in such a way to prevent tearing at the opening edge. They should reinforce it with some thicker rubber gromet like material at the least. I've been meaning to write them in Japan about this issue.

·
Banned
28,511 Posts
Well, if you are in Europe Woodbrass.com has both the alto and tenor mutes and then separately, the stand for the tenor mute.

http://es.woodbrass.com/stand+por+sordina+electronica+para+saxofon+tenor++es

It's made for the Vibes (or Sax Partner ?) brand mute. Mine is the Best Brass E-Sax mute, and I'm not certain that they are all the same exact size and shape for it to be a universal fit and fit mine exactly right. I'm going to have to write them to find out unless someone on here has gotten one and knows the answer.

·
Registered
80 Posts
So does the Chinese Sax Partner come with the stand and harness or does it need to be purchased separately? Who has the best price on the Chinese mute in the US?
Heya fusion1 - doesn't look like anyone answered you - I got mine (tenor) in the USA from Music Factory Direct. It does come with a harness, does not come with stand or triple AAA bateries. I don't know where you would get a stand in the USA, I couldn't find one. I ordered directly from them and had no problems whatsoever. It was here with free shipping in 3 or 4 days from Illinois to nyc. They seem to sell it sporadicly on ebay as well - for the same price it seems.

I've only played with it for a few minutes, but damn I'm going to have tons of extra practice time. It quiets the sax considerably. As others have said, it doesn't cut out the noise completely, but it's definitely low enough that it won't bother your neighbors, and probably not even folks in the next room. I don't think a stand will be necessary for me, as I have a bunch of adjustable office chairs here, so lowering one down all the way and sitting the mute on it seems to work fine. Of course I took it out and in a bunch of times to test the noise levels... it really is a pretty dramatic change.

The thing stinks of new plastic/foam smell, I hope airing it out tonight makes it go away... I hate breathing that nastiness in.

I hope the price goes down even more, it really is just a hunk of molded plastic, it couldn't be all that expensive to make. But as it is, my initial impression is that it is $$ very well spent.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Hi all,

After using my Vibes mute for a while now I can say that the advantages outweigh the hazzles by far. Being able to play on times one normally wouldn't is a great asset and mixing BIAB or backing tracks with your sax works pretty well. Your pitch goes up considerably after a half an hour of playing, though. A little tweaking and changing the neoprene "gloves" can make the mute more comfortable. However, I wouldn't really recommend anyone to buy the stand because I've found its use to be quite limited and I prefer to use the harness instead. Put your money on a better harness (like Neotech), thats my 2 cents.

Carl

·
Banned
28,511 Posts
Can either of you two guys who just got the Chinese version of the mute post a photo of the low-note compensator doohickey? I sure would love to see what it looks like to compare it my homemade version so I can tweak it to work better. Please? Thanks if you can.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Low note doohickey in all it's glory.

Wood Audio equipment Eyewear Twig Jewellery

It's all a flimsy flexible rubber thing and the top has spring adjusters to hold it in the bell. And if you leave it in there you wonder why your brand new Barone isn't sounding as good as you think it should. Ask me how I know this...

·
Banned
28,511 Posts
You mean to say it sounds better without the thing than with it?

·
Registered
642 Posts
Sorry to bring up a really old thread ... anyone have any idea if the ALTO case would fit in an overhead compartment on an airplane? If I were to purchase one of these, it'd be for the purpose of being able to practice in a hotel room while on tour ...

61 - 73 of 73 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.