Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I currently play an NC4 for classical with a Yamaha Custom EXII Alto, the reeds I used are Legere, 3.5, Vandoren V21 3, and D’Ddario 3+. The sound I am getting is good but at times I feel like it is too edgy and was wondering what is your guys opinion on the NC4 and NC3 because I am considering to try out an NC3. Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
1,381 Posts

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
If you like Rousseau mouthpieces, you might try the RC4 in place of the NC4. It's designed to be a little darker.
I didn't think of that; this is good advice too.

·
Distinguished Member, Forum Contributor 2013-2016
7,889 Posts
The RC series is designed for Yamaha EX horns, while the NC series is designed around the 875 Custom. Try the RC, they are a little darker and the intonation is spot on.

The only caveat I have with Rousseau mouthpieces is the quality of finishing. You might need to try a few of them to get the response you’re looking for.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
26 Posts
FWIW, Rousseau always played the NC4 during the 6 years I was a student of his (1995-2001). I agree that quality control is sketchy. I would want to try at least 5 before buying a new one. I currently own 3 NC4’s. They are all extremely different. All have now been refaced and are still very different. One takes very hard reeds, 4+ and tends to be very buzzy. Another takes 2.5-3’s and is very round and clear. The third is somewhere in the middle.

·
Distinguished Member, Forum Contributor 2013-2016
7,889 Posts
FWIW, Rousseau always played the NC4 during the 6 years I was a student of his (1995-2001). I agree that quality control is sketchy. I would want to try at least 5 before buying a new one. I currently own 3 NC4’s. They are all extremely different. All have now been refaced and are still very different. One takes very hard reeds, 4+ and tends to be very buzzy. Another takes 2.5-3’s and is very round and clear. The third is somewhere in the middle.
The RC didn’t come out until after 2002 IIRC. I was at IU from 1993-1995. Must have just missed you! I have no idea if Dr Rousseau ever switched. A lot of the “Rousseau guys” never switched from the NC to the RC. I think part of it has to do with the finishing work...when we stopped packing and finishing them in his basement, or the office by the mall, or the back of RM Pro Shop (ProWinds), I think they just started getting finished at Babbitt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 7 of 7 Posts