Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a used flute recently and I'd like to know more about it. The flute head is silver and has 'silver head' and 55 stamped on it. It has a B foot. The body is stamped E. L. Deford Elkhart underneath a diamond with ELD inside of it. However, there is no serial number I can find at all. Or any sort of model number. As far as I can see, the E.L Deford Elkhart and the diamond logo is the only thing the body has stamped on it. The body is closed hole with offset G. The body and foot are a bit tarnished, but I'm not sure they are solid silver or plated. Can anyone shed any light on this for me? Thank you.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Technician
21,034 Posts
With 55 stamped on the head, it is probably the last two numbers of the serial number. Did you look on the ribs for a number?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you for the help. I did not think to look at the ribs closely so I got a loupe and looked. I didn't find any stamps on the body ribs. I looked it over pretty closely with the loupe on the foot too but I didn't find stamps there either. Is there anywhere else to look? Maybe my flute just didn't get a serial number?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have also gotten a used DeFord flute without any information. It has the eld in the diamond then below that, is E.L. Deford and below that is Elkhart. The serial number is d65277 with the number 1 below that. Any information would be great! We have gotten this for our daughter for Christmas.

Thanks in advance
Debbie

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi I have a de ford flute that was given to me when I was a child. The serial number is A39924 with the number 1 above it. Could anyone give me some information about this? Ie year it was made value etc. I've taken it up again after many years and am wondering if I should move to a newer/ better? flute.

·
Distinguished Technician & SOTW Columnist. RIP, Yo
17,204 Posts
WE have no idea whether any limiting factor in your playing is the design of your flute, the state of your flute, or the player.
I suggest you go to a music shop and compare your flute with a student Yamaha, which is a pretty good yardstick representing the best in student flutes.
If you pine for one, then buy one second hand.

·
21,034 Posts
Hi I have a de ford flute that was given to me when I was a child. The serial number is A39924 with the number 1 above it. Could anyone give me some information about this? Ie year it was made value etc. I've taken it up again after many years and am wondering if I should move to a newer/ better? flute.
It is a silver plated closed hole C-foot student flute. Probably made in the 1975-80 period.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Re: another...E.L. Deford flute model...question

Hello (and happy holidays! :)
I've just bought a Deford on eBay, solid silver, open hole, 8B model. Haven't received it yet but seller is a reputable music shop and I can return it if I'm not satisfied -- it looks good in pictures and has been serviced and is in good working condition so I am optimistic.

Serial number is 4455. Any idea of year / vintage, quality, etc? Other notes on the model / vintage? Also, the "holed" keys (A, G, F, E, D) don't have the the circular indents that most flute keys have, including the other full size keys on this flute -- rather they are flat across. Any thoughts on this as well?
Thanks in advance for any info or feedback.

·
21,034 Posts
Yes, it looks to be a model 8B. I think the keys do have a bit of a ring but not really pronounced. I n good working condition, probably worth in the $500 range.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thanks Bruce for the info. I paid $300 so that's good news, assuming it's in decent shape. Bought it on a whim for myself for x-mas. I'm not a doubler, but been playing the flute since I was 8 -- hitting the big 5 - oh (no! ;P) next year -- and though classically trained (a long time ago) mostly play "garage" and "open-mic" rock/blues/folk/pop with friends and fellow middle-ager wannabe's -- no disrespect to any of you / us who aspire! When I turned 40 I got a YFL 684 off eBay that's in good shape, but too nice / fragile for garages and bars (IMHO, even though it's nothing like a "real" high end flute, it's high end for me). My parents got me a Deford (open hole, B foot, silver head, plated body) when I was 16 that I played until I turned 40...it had fallen into disrepair...but I loved it, so on a whim went for this 8B the other day...part nostalgia, part wanting something that if it gets dinged in a garage/bar I'm not going to lose too much sleep over. Anyway, as part of this "late mid life too-much-time-on eBay crisis" I'm going through, I'm looking forward to playing a lot more flute...the 684 for classical/jazz and the Deford for pop, and am glad to have found this site and forum, where like others, I've learned more in a matter of days checking out threads than in all my years playing. Cheers and happy new year to all! :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts