Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, new to Forum. I recently acquired a neglected, water damaged & unplayable E.L. DeFord model 10B, Thinwall, all silver, B foot & open hole. The serial number is #A27400, footjoint & body matching. I am personally restoring this flute and have it playing down to C# as I am slowing repadding this instrument (I am not a pro repairer, I repad, shim and re-cork as a hobby). The bore is good as the previous owner had a pad saver in it to absorb moisture. It is sounding decent now. The questions I have are;

1) What is the general consensus of this flute, mediocre or better?

2) The Headjoint is stamped "00", what is the significance of that label. Is this a handcrafted HJ?

3) Value. I suspect anywhere from $400.00 to $500.00?

4) Old parts availability. A lot of the keys the plating is gone or there is pitting.

5) What year was it made. I am guessing mid 70's.

The flute is butt ugly, a real beater, however is playable now. I have plenty left to do on this flute such as swedge the tubing.

Thanks in advance.
Gordon

·
Registered
2,549 Posts
I just purchased a Deford 8b(circa early 2000s) from ww.bw.com on closeout for $699. They sold for $899 reg. My daughters flute teacher liked it. My daughter sounded great on it. Her reg flute is a yamaha 225. I am just learning flute(after playing sax for 30 yrs). Just reread your post,your flute is older. The modern Defords are good.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Good to hear about your 8B. I think the 8B is a medium or thick wall version of what I have, though I may be wrong. Thanks.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Technician
21,030 Posts
I worked for Em DeFord years ago. That 10B is all sterling including the keys so there is no plating on it. It was the top of the line model in the 1980s. You can soak the parts (not with pads) in tarn-x and then polish or buff, sand or whatever to restore the finish to new. The drawbacks are that the scale is the traditional (0ld) and the heads were a bit oversquare in the hole. The 00 on the head is the last 2 digits of the serial number. Parts are still available and you may want to consider sending it to DeFord and he will make it new again. PM me or e-mail if you need info.

·
Registered
17 Posts
dear bruce,

i have a model 10B Deford flute, which I bought in the late 70s. I thought only the model 12B had solid silver keys, and that the 10B was all silver except for the silver keys.

if the 10B has solid silver keys, what's the difference between the 10B and 12B?

I'm starting to play again. I produce and host radio shows here in Los Angeles.

thanks for any information you can provide, and best wishes for 2010.

tom schnabel
venice, calif.

·
Registered
17 Posts
dear bruce,

i have a model 10B Deford flute, which I bought in the late 70s. I thought only the model 12B had solid silver keys, and that the 10B was all silver except for the silver keys.

if the 10B has solid silver keys, what's the difference between the 10B and 12B?

I'm starting to play again. I produce and host radio shows here in Los Angeles.

thanks for any information you can provide, and best wishes for 2010.

tom schnabel
venice, calif.
so is the 10B all silver, including keys, rods, mechanism?

·
Registered
17 Posts
don't know if I'm doing this right, but Bruce can you confirm then that the Deford Model 10B is all silver, including keys, rods, mechanism? thanks!

·
21,030 Posts
10B and 12B are all silver including the keywork. The crown may be plated. On a head, if it has 2 numbers, it would be the last 2 of the body serial number. Good flutes and plating is not a worry as the keys can be polished. Parts are not a problem as DeFord still has all parts or will make what you need. If you need a phone number, let me know. He is still making DeFord flutes since he sold Emerson to Selmer and the new ones are outstanding for the money.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Dear Bruce,

it's me again, the guy who was asked you about whether the Deford 10B Thinwall was all silver including keys and mechanism, or just the body. I finally reached Emerson and he told me that the keys and mechanism were plated.....

I am on Ebay looking at two Armstrong Heritage Flutes, one thinwall model asking price $2000

http://winds101.zenfolio.com/vintageheritageflute

and another one for slightly less $,

http://cgi.ebay.com/SUPERB-70s-ARMS...=110538399121&ps=63&clkid=5980943901166192400

can you confirm that these are authentic Heritage models from the 70s, and which might be superior? I need some guidance here......you should be able to see the pictures from these 2 links.

oNce again, I'm indebted to your knowledge and kindness.

Tom Schnabel
Venice, CAlif.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Contributor 2010
1,502 Posts
I can chime in to say that Wichita Band Instrument Co. is a very reputable shop. The don't talk much about the flute's condition. I would call them for more info.

·
21,030 Posts
If you called Emerson (part of Selmer) then you had the wrong answer. All 10s were silver keys. I have one here with a C foot Thinwall and it is sterling all over. Those Heritages are the older good models BUT the prices are waaaay out of line. I sold the same model last year on ebay in mint condition for about $850. I have a DeFord 10, Artley Wilkins and Gemeinhardt 3SS (the old sterling one with the handmade keys) all for under $700 in C foot and find that any of the sterling (+keys) US flutes from Elkhart to always be under $1,000. Those old Heritages are fine flutes but don't expect a large low register.

·
Registered
17 Posts
thanks again Bruce. you just saved me some $$. Emerson Deford (i spoke with him personally) seemed a little crotchety when I called him, and he also was off by about a decade when I asked him when my 10B (I bought it used in about 1978) was made. when I gave him the s/n A 43282, he said it was made in the 1980's, which was totally off. so maybe his hazy thinking was why he thought the keys & mechanism were plated, , not solid silver.

My 10B thinwall sings sweetly. since you have a 10 thinwall too, how would you compare it with your Wilkins, or even these vintage Heritages. If I wanted a different style/sound flute maybe a thicker wall, what would you recommend?

once again, thanks for your expertise.

Best regards,

Tom

·
21,030 Posts
I like it better than the Heritage, Wilkins etc. I would get a heavier wall flute as the Thinwall is about .014" and teh standard would be about .018". Thin has a better mid register and heavy a more stable high and louder low end. I have an 8 in a heavy wall and it is better down low.

·
Registered
17 Posts
thanks Bruce,

can you recommend some good heavier-wall flutes that would complement my 10, and prices on them (and of course where to find them besides Ebay.

once again, thanks for your knowledge and your willingness to share it!

wishing you a nice Labor Day weekend.

tom

1 - 20 of 25 Posts