Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
When I open and close my Eb pinky key, it slams shut to the point where the roller rattles. This is on a Bundy by H.A. Selmer ('64 Bundy I Alto.) This is especially true when I open/close it rapidly. It's annoying. The pad hits the tone hole fairly forcefully to keep it closed and leak free when not in use.

Do other horns do this? Is there a way to control it? Adjust it? I'd like to hear the notes over the key action.

Thanks for any suggestions.

· Premium Member
4,348 Posts
I use the Music Medic Ultimax grease for rollers. The needle syringe is just the right size to "inject" the grease. The other things I do to quiet a noisy Eb key are to eliminate play in the mechanism in both the Eb and C keys and install a new or softer pad. It is also a good idea to make sure the guard screws tight as well as the bumper adjusting screw if it has one.

· Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Good advice on quieting the roller (or rollee).
The key guard on this horn is soldered in place and it's tight. There is no bumper and it doesn't reach the key guard when opened. I wondered if it is opening too much. 12mm on the hi side and 6 mm on the inside low side. So I tried opening it half that but it get's stuffy and flatter as the opening gets narrower. The pad is seated nicely with a nice ring in it. I'll lube the rollers and check the play in both keys.

Thanks for the good suggestions.

· Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
43,582 Posts
Good luck with it, I’ve tried all in the past but in the end the closing itself (even with a new softer pad, is noisy) causes the noise ( which may be enhanced from one of more factors as described above) , the last possible thinthat I would like to try is a to place a washer of hard plastic between the post and the tube but I seriously doubt it would do anything

· Premium Member
4,348 Posts
Good advice on quieting the roller (or rollee).
The key guard on this horn is soldered in place and it's tight. There is no bumper and it doesn't reach the key guard when opened. I wondered if it is opening too much. 12mm on the hi side and 6 mm on the inside low side. So I tried opening it half that but it get's stuffy and flatter as the opening gets narrower. The pad is seated nicely with a nice ring in it. I'll lube the rollers and check the play in both keys.

Thanks for the good suggestions.
The Yamaha key opening specs show an opening of 8 mm which would be a good place to start. Just because there is a "nice ring" in the pad, it doesn't mean that the leather and felt haven't become hard over time. The low Eb pad along with the palm key pads are the ones that suffer the most from water inside the saxophone. If you were to order a Music Medic "soft feel" pad and install it, I think you would notice a difference. The design of the Bundy with the low C and Eb on one rod with the low C in the center makes it a bit difficult to remove play from the mechanism. Try moving the low C key back and forth between the posts to see how much play there is. This key can be removed and lengthened a bit (with the rod inside) using swedging pliers. If there is still slight movement between the posts when both keys are assembled, the post where the hinge rod goes in can be bent or tapped in a small amount to take up the slack. Repair "purists" will gasp when reading this, but on that make and model it is the best option. Another solution that sometimes helps is to apply a drop of high viscosity (heavy) key oil where the hinge tube meets the post.

· Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Good advice Saxoclese.

There was about 0.2 mm play in the tube ends and I lightly tapped the posts together and it fits like a glove. I polished the ends so they turn easily and it feels good. I had to float the pad to get back to a good leak-free fit.
The grease in the rollers really quieted them down. The pad looks ok but I do have a complete new set from Instrument Clinic if I need it. The tone hole is clean and flat.
I also put a thin layer of cork under the key-press to limit the open to 8 mm from about 12 mm. Maybe a little stuffier but I'll go with it for a while to see what happens as the cork compresses and it opens further.
The whole thing is a lot quieter, but of course, the clap from the pad closing is going to be tough to eliminate so I'll live with it. I'll grease the left hand table rollers next because it worked so good and they rattle now and then.

Thanks for the help.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.