Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Grafton alto | Martin Comm III tenor
28,951 Posts
, but the man can play...
Yes, he can play very well, pity the sound quality is so bad though. The main drawback for me is the lack of dynamics and space. kind of relentless if you know what I mean.

·
Forum Contributor 2011-2015
2,023 Posts
He is from Macedonia. I made him Custom C alto. There are few very good players there about the same level notably Feruz Mustafov. They play very closed tip .065-.070 high baffle pieces to be able to do the double staccato.

·
Banned
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
" The main drawback for me is the lack of dynamics and space. kind of relentless if you know what I mean".
Yes I understand what you mean Pete. Nevertheless he seems to be very popular with people of the same culture, as can be seen in the following clip of him playing in a do in Melbourne: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=izZ4oZxl2X8

Rennie, I tried to find out where he's from but I could not. I think he's either Bulgarian or from one of the ex republics of Yugoslavia. Taxim is a term used in the Balkans, as well as in other countries, for a non rhythmic musical improvisation expressing deep sorrow. Here's an example played on clarinet http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W-wKecY7sN4

By the way, my sax teacher is a Dutch lady by the name of Jacquelien Deiman, who lives here in Rhodes.

·
2,023 Posts
Rennie, I tried to find out where he's from but I could not. I think he's either Bulgarian or from one of the ex republics of Yugoslavia
He is from Macedonia- for sure.

·
2,023 Posts
I will meet him in couple of days. If I don't find an excuse I will be treated to an hour in my face blast. He is far better than the video shows but I don't really dig the music though.

·
Banned
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Good luck with your listening Sakshama, you never know, you might eventually acquire a taste for it. LOL

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2011
1,124 Posts
Rennie, I tried to find out where he's from but I could not. I think he's either Bulgarian or from one of the ex republics of Yugoslavia. Taxim is a term used in the Balkans, as well as in other countries, for a non rhythmic musical improvisation expressing deep sorrow. Here's an example played on clarinet http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W-wKecY7sN4

By the way, my sax teacher is a Dutch lady by the name of Jacquelien Deiman, who lives here in Rhodes.
Thanks Koumou for your explanation. Wonderful how Bulgaria, Macedonia, Rhodes and The Netherlands end all up together in one thread.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,536 Posts
I think he is either from Carpetstan or maybe Mustachistan... Really can someone explain the term "double stacatto" ??? This is a guy who I would definitely take a couple of lessons from. Jjust listening is great... I could really learn something new from this cat.

·
Registered
78 Posts
He is from Macedonia. I made him Custom C alto. There are few very good players there about the same level notably Feruz Mustafov. They play very closed tip .065-.070 high baffle pieces to be able to do the double staccato.
You made that sax for him!? What sort of features does this instrument have?

·
Registered
351 Posts
I really like it when different music styles can make an instrument its own. A friend of mine worked in a London West End muisc shop and an older Irish musician came in and asked if he could play the C-Melody saxophone in the window. He played traditional Irish tunes on it and apparently made the instrument sound as if it were an instrument invented in Ireland centuries ago, no influence from any other style of music in his playing.

·
Registered
365 Posts
The mind is what does it all, a musical instrument is just the tool. Even classical instruments such as the violin and clarinet are used and played in styles to suit many different music caltures. You are probably not used to hearing a clarinet and violin used in the following way: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SWI1-KKgGz0 .

·
2,023 Posts
Ahh, that music in the tread is priceless. Remainds me of my own folk traditions in Macedonia.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts