Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Folks!

I recently acquired a Dynaction silverplate stencil that has a warble in the low end, especially low B and sometimes C & C#. This horn was recently rebuilt with new pads and resos and it seems like either a mechanical problem or maybe tone hole(s) that need leveling. Does anyone have familiarity with this problem on old Dynactions and some suggested solutions? Thanks!

Sulyen

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013-
5,183 Posts
Try pushing the mouthpiece on more and/or a different mouthpiece. This could be a lot of things, but that is the simplest to check.

·
Registered
275 Posts
I had the same problem with my Buffet SDA tenor. I had a tech look at it and he checked it for leaks. He found a leak and he also adjusted the key height by shaving off some of the felt from the key guard bumper. This instantly solved the problem. A change in mouthpiece and reed set up may also help this problem.

There were some threads going back almost two years that describe the same problem. This may be a problem endemic to some Buffet Dynaction and SDA tenors. I have never had a problem with my SDA alto in this area.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Saintsday and Com281. I've found an older opened up HR mpc that helps a lot (am currently searching for the best metal mpc for this horn). I will also tell my tech about the technique you mentioned Com281 as I will be taking the horn in for him to look at soon.

Sulyen

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,404 Posts
A friend of mine also had a problem with a low end warble on either a DA or SDA tenor, and he said he could never get it fixed, but the low end on my SDA alto and tenor are both magnificent and incredibly free blowing. My tenor prefers large-chambered mouthpieces but my alto does great with your usual medium-chambered pieces. With the right setup, you should be able to easily wisper a subtone on low Bb. After all, these horns were designed to play classical music, right?

·
Forum Contributor 2007 Distinguished SOTW Member
820 Posts
check the key heights on the low Bb and B. If they are too closed this can cause warbling.

·
Registered
275 Posts
sulyen said:
Thanks Saintsday and Com281. I've found an older opened up HR mpc that helps a lot (am currently searching for the best metal mpc for this horn).

Sulyen
As far as metal mouthpieces, my SDA plays magnificently with a WWBW Guardala Crescent. I can achieve really good altissimo notes as well great subtones with ease and without warbling. These play loud too.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts