Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Saxus Envious Curmudgeon
3,860 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased a Durga tenor mp second hand (like new) here and have a couple of questions:

1. Whats with the two screw drivers? Why is there a need for the two different types of screws on the lig.?
2. I noticed that the lig sits a little "off", that is, if you look at the lig from the rounded end of the mp it seems like one side of the mp has the ligature dipples set a little higher than the other side. Is this on purpose, or a fault?
3. I noticed that it is a little hard to get the lig and reed to match up easily. Anyone else having that problem?

I love the sound I get witht he piece, it just seems a little temperamental with the ligature.

Also, I'd like a cap for this thing if anyone of you has one of the Fran. Louis caps for sale that fit this thing.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Randall

I ditched the lig and use a rovner. Its a lot less of a fiddle.

I've had mine for a year and really enjoying playing it.

cheers

·
Registered
627 Posts
Howdy Randall,

I figured that I can answer most of these questions for you--

1. The two screw drivers:
One has a hex head for the dovetailed set screws that hold the ligature in place. This allows you to move the ligature into one of the five different lig positions.

The second driver is a philips head for replacing the little 0-80 screw that holds the pressure plate in place on the thumbscrew that actually applies the pressure to the reed. Our mouthpieces ship with two different pressure plates (one is .040" copper and the other is the standard .016" gold plated bronze) and the idea is for folks to be able to try both out to help customize their own sound--which is why the Philips driver is included.

2. As far as items 2 and 3 goes, I'm wondering if the ligature body might have gotten a little bent somehow? It's unlikely that the holes in the mouthpiece body that the set screws go into to hold the ligature in place are off (although that could be checked easily with a set of calipers or even a good ruler). If the ligature body did somehow get bent, that would definitely make it look a little funky and make it more difficult to line up with the reed.

If you want to shoot me an email with a pic or two--I'd be happy to take a look and see what we can do to get you hooked up.

--Matt

·
SOTW Columnist and Forum Contributor 2015-2016
3,832 Posts
Man....Spooner, Theo, & company just continue to blow me away with the customer service. Bravo!

- Saxaholic

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Saxus Envious Curmudgeon
3,860 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok, Spooner, I'll get in touch with you on this.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts