Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys...I just saw on the tube network this video of Duran Duran playing "Rio" at the Concert for Diana earlier at Wembley I think. Anyway, who the heck is the Saxophonist playing with them- he was going off! Played some really great riffs and had a great sound!!!! I was blown away. It was almost as good as listening to a Phil Kenzie solo! John Laughter- maybe you can help me with this one. Was it the regular saxophonist that played with them in the 80's or is it someone else sitting in?

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
that saxophonist did not look like Andy Hamilton who I guess was the saxophonist for Duran Duran in the 80's...hm. Must have been someone sitting in.

·
Forum Contributor 2011, SOTW's pedantic pet rodent
8,322 Posts
griggsy: I'm sorry to say that the progress of this thread may suggest that there aren't a great many Duran Duran fans hanging around this forum!! Much as I enjoy seeing any trend being thoroughly bucked, I am not able to oblige in this instance!! If I have to listen to Simon le Bon sing, i'm not prepared to listen to any sax player, no matter if it was Dexter Gordon. :)

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2007-
5,528 Posts
RootyTootoot said:
griggsy: I'm sorry to say that the progress of this thread may suggest that there aren't a great many Duran Duran fans hanging around this forum!! Much as I enjoy seeing any trend being thoroughly bucked, I am not able to oblige in this instance!! If I have to listen to Simon le Bon sing, i'm not prepared to listen to any sax player, no matter if it was Dexter Gordon. :)
You folks just didn't grow up in the right time period. I did lots of making out to Duran Duran songs back in my teen and early twenties days. Something about those cheesy songs seemed to get the girls all hot and bothered back then. ;)

·
SOTW Administrator
26,208 Posts
RootyTootoot said:
I loved Barbarella!

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I hear ya RootyTootoot, and I can appreciate that different folks prefer different genres and bands. However, that's why I pointed out that the saxophone starts at 3:48 into the video- to save your ears from being subjected to Simon. And I didn't mean to bump the thread...it was just my stream of consciousness.

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
Actually, the saxophonist is also a Simon. I saw him recently with Sax Assault - a 9 sax band! - but playing alto on that gig. I will try to remember to check his surname which I have somewhere (on the band's CD). If I forget, PM me and I will sort it out.

Oh, yes: he is terrific.

·
8,322 Posts
ok. you're right. the sax playing is very good indeed(no clue who it is though!). And thanks for your time indication which i didn't notice before. When I see something like this I can't help thinking that Duran Duran should hunker down at the back of the stage and just give the guy a little room for, let's say, err, the whole of the bloomin concert. And just BTW, though, how is it even possible to be such an outright poor singer as Simon le Bon (sp? - can't be bothered to check) and yet have such a big career?? I mean, OK, I'll even admit (under torture) that maybe he can write a decent song but sing and front a band?? Oh Noooooosireee.. [attentive readers may have noticed that Duran Duran are one of the subjects which transform me into the Incredible Rant ;) ]

·
The most prolific Distinguished SOTW poster, Forum
27,650 Posts
RootyTootoot said:
I mean, OK, I'll even admit (under torture) that maybe he can write a decent song but sing and front a band??
You mean that song wasn't atonal? :shock:

"Singing" aside, I thought the song, itself, sucked mightily and it was tortuous waiting for the sax solo. Just like you, I should've read griggsy's post a little closer and fast-forwarded.

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
This is taken from the Sax Assault web site (see my earlier post):

Simon Willescroft – soprano and alto saxes
One of the hottest young properties on the UK jazz and pop scene, regularly working with Katie Melua, James Taylor Quartet, Rose Royce, ABC and Tony Hadley.

He is playing tenor with Duran Duran, but he's your man!

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Pinnman!! Right on! That sure is him. I googled him and saw a page on mySpace where they have a video of that band Sax Assault. That is incredible! He gets quite a bit of solo time and really sounds good. Well...back to the shed with some new material for myself now! Aspiring to sound anything like him and have as quick fingering is a pretty lofty goal.

·
Registered
93 Posts
After I don't read this forum for a while, I wonder why I stopped. And then I read stuff like Gary and Rooty-whatever wrote above. I remember. Its these posts that so and so sucks. I'll go back into ignoring this stuff and hopefully, when I think about wasting my time reading it, I'll remember that you guys are SO talented that you can criticize a musician who just had 100,000 people screaming and dancing.

·
The most prolific Distinguished SOTW poster, Forum
27,650 Posts
Giles said:
I'll remember that you guys are SO talented that you can criticize a musician who just had 100,000 people screaming and dancing.
That's show biz, not to be confused with musicianship. :cool:

And I call a spade a spade. If you are uncomfortable with honest opinions about some one's musicianship then you should not only avoid this forum - you should avoid talking to musicians anywhere, anytime, because if they're honest, they will tell you what they think. That's not negative. If you look around the forum and see what really is there, vs what you want to see, you will also see a lot of positive comments about other musicians - praise they have earned with musicianship, not cheap showmanship.

·
8,322 Posts
Giles said:
After I don't read this forum for a while, I wonder why I stopped. And then I read stuff like Gary and Rooty-whatever wrote above. I remember. Its these posts that so and so sucks. I'll go back into ignoring this stuff and hopefully, when I think about wasting my time reading it, I'll remember that you guys are SO talented that you can criticize a musician who just had 100,000 people screaming and dancing.
I didn't say "Simon le Bon sucks" . That would be rude. I said he has difficulty singing in tune (which he does) and that I find it surprising that he has had such a major career as a singer in spite of that fact. I doubt that Simon or his fans need to worry much about anything I might say. I was just expressing an opinion and will continue to do so. I have no difficulties with you expressing yours. And as for the "dancing" part - did you actually watch the video? It looked more like "swaying gently and clapping" to me. :twisted: ;)

·
8,322 Posts
Bernards20040 said:
Am I The only one who gets this:cool:

Duran Duran "was" the blind angel-- Right
Gotcha. So, hakukani, you are saying you have a bit of a thing for Jane Fonda, yes? That's understandable ;) . But isn't that preference a bit "political"? It seems a thread has already been deleted for a containing a very learned discussion of Newfoundland. Or maybe I missed something :) .

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,494 Posts
That clip made me remember why I stopped doing rock band gigs.

Too much like hard work, and no appreciation.

The sax guy is wailing his .... off, and Le Bon keeps poncing all over the
stage.

The Jane Fonda of Barbarella days is not like the Jane Fonda of today.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts