Sax on the Web Forum banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
Selmer MarkVII Tenor
776 Posts
Elecmuso :
My friend speaks spanish and greek. He is from Greece, and lives here in Venezuela. I contacted the center in Paris and the Doctor for him , and he flew to Paris and was treated by Dr. Lermosieaux himself. His contracture has been advanced and in spite of the needle theraphy , he had the contracture returns again, and this time he had to undergo a surgery in the same center in Paris, this time by a female doctor who had been trained by Dr. Lermosieaux, as at that time he was outside Paris, teaching his technique in USA. After the surgery he is having a normal life and their hands are working properly without any kind of limitation.
He paid 800€ each hand . If you need more information, let me know and i can gather all the info you need from him.
Best Wishes
Humbardi

·
Registered
Selmer MarkVII Tenor
776 Posts
Elecmuso :
My friend speaks spanish and greek. He is from Greece, and lives here in Venezuela. I contacted the center in Paris and the Doctor for him , and he flew to Paris and was treated by Dr. Lermosieaux himself. His contracture has been advanced and in spite of the needle theraphy , he had the contracture returns again, and this time he had to undergo a surgery in the same center in Paris, this time by a female doctor who had been trained by Dr. Lermosieaux, as at that time he was outside Paris, teaching his technique in USA. After the surgery he is having a normal life and their hands are working properly without any kind of limitation.
He paid 800€ each hand . If you need more information, let me know and i can gather all the info you need from him.
Best Wishes
Humbardi

·
Registered
554 Posts
Thanks Humbardi

I sent an email to the French doctor and he got back to me quite quickly. Unfortunately he knows no-one in Australia that uses his technique.

But from what you have just said, the fix was only temporary and your friend had to undergo surgery in the end anyway - is that right?

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
39,989 Posts
Let’s revive this thread because there is no point opening one when one is already open , even if it started 11 years ago.

Along with many other hands problems I have Dupuytren disease or Dupuytren contracture.

It is not at a stage that there is actually a visible contracture but the tendon of my ring finger of my right hand clearly shows the onset of the disease. 3 Knots along the tendon.

Operations are only considered in much further stages and the disease and maybe at some stage I would have to face the need to operate, along with the impossibility to play if I don’t.

Just how many among us have these disease and how did it proceed from the initial stages?

I am very careful about operating my hands because of my previous experiences with two different surgeons operating on two different hands in two different hospitals for a carpal tunnel disease which wasn’t at any dangerous stage yet.

The operations (both of them) left me with more pain that I have ever had before. So both my hands have also arthritis of the thumbs (in two different spots ) but unless I really have to I am not going to have this operation.

My GP has already told me that he is not in favor of this operation and showed me that he has the same disease.

This , like many other of my ailments, are hereditary conditions. The last few years I have conducted many DNA researches to establish the history of my family but always shied away from the medical implications of my DNA.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Perhaps I can offer something positive.

I had forgotten about this thread that I visited 5 years ago - reason being the symptoms have pretty much disappeared. So it appears it is something that can reverse even without effort.

Unfortunately I now have tendonitis in various forms in my right arm - win some, lose some I guess!

·
39,989 Posts
I am happy for you but it may very well be that you were some of the lucky ones (and I may be too)

https://dupuytrens.org/DupPDFs/2005_Reilly_1481.pdf

“..Gudmundsson reported “Of the 75 men who had palmar nodules or fibrous cords in 1981, a total of 26 (34.6%) had developed contracted fingers or had been operated in 1999.”
Reilly reported 59 patients with only a nodule at average followup of 8.7 years, 7 had spontaneous resolution of nodules, and 5 had developed MCP and/or PIP contracture...."

·
Registered
554 Posts
It occurred to me that the disappearance of symptoms may have had to do with the work I did on that arm for tennis elbow, which involved quite a few physio sessions. Ultimately I needed a cortisone injection and that fixed the tennis elbow within days. Still I do exercises to deal with other tendon related issues. Could those have anything to do with the DC resolving itself?

·
39,989 Posts
There are no studies about any of this.

Other than having a heavy hereditary component ( and having identified a number of snp loci in the DNA sequence) there is very little known about the onset and certainly about the disappearance of this disease.

·
Registered
12 Posts
It seems this is an old thread but this is my Dupytrens Contracture experience.

My left hand little finger started to bed inwards in 2014 (I would have been in my late 50’s) At first I thought it was some kind of arthritis. My GP (family doctor here in the UK) diagnosed the Dupytrens and made an appointment for me at the Chelsea and Westminster hospital, London to see a hand consultant.

The consultant diagnosed Dupytrens and she duly explained all about it. It is also known as Viking’s disease as it mainly affects white, north European men.

the recommended treatment was an injection called xaiapex https://www.uhs.nhs.uk/Media/UHS-website- 2019/Patientinformation/Medicinestherapiesandanaesthetics/Xiapex®treatmentforDupuytrenscontracture.pdf

the injection was done one morning under a local anaesthetic and the following day the consultant manipulated the finger and made it almost straight.

unfortunately, the condition returned a few years later. I was referred to the same consultant again and she repeated the injection/manipulation procedure along with some hand therapy and a splint. Again, a good result but finger is now bent again.

I have since moved away from London and have an appointment booked with a hand consultant in Manchester later in April 2021.

I understand that the manufacturer of xaiapex withdrew its use in Europe a few years ago.

I’m not sure if I want an operation on my finger.

the condition is now affecting my guitar and bass playing, keyboard playing although I don’t use my left hand that much and my ability to operate the palm keys on my tenor.

·
39,989 Posts
Xiapex has been stopped production in 2019 in several countries, not only the EU.

Unfortunately this was together with the scraping operation the only therapy but it didn’t work for everyone .

I have a mild form of the disease

·
Registered
4,547 Posts
Both hands, pinky and ring finger. They have been slowly growing hard bumps for years.
Only a slight pulling down of the fingers.
Hard to open bottles and anything that pushes on the spots. Went to hand surgeon. He was almost angry for wasting his time. He said come back when your fingers curl.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts