Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Maybe you can predict where I'm going with this... I want variable speed swirlies with the utmost in manual speed control. Unfortunately I haven't been able to get my hands on one to compare roto vs phase or figure out which matches the sound in my head. Has anyone had a chance to try any of these out with sax?

Dunlop offers several varieties of UniVibe, if I were investing in that I would definitely get the control pedal. The price range of the other two pedals is far more attractive.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I would go with the Boss RT-20. It has so many speed variations and different tones. It has 2 leslie settings, another leslie setting ran through a marshal, and the last setting is a univibe. You can switch from keyboard to guitar settings. Im sure keybaord settings would have less bite to it. It's possible to balance out the simulation of the tweeter and rotor drum so u can have one spinning faster than the other plus it has a cool LED that shows you the speed. The ramp on it is looks awesome as well. I wanna pick one up myself but i got gets some bills first.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Great help there. I had ruled out the Boss because I didn't know it would allow real-time speed control, but it does, with an accessory expression pedal. Also has overdrive. I know that Gitard Center has one on their demo rack, I'll give it a closer look. - Thanks!

Zacharias said:
I wanna pick one up myself but i got gets some bills first.
I know how that is. Whatever pedal I get will have to wait for the savings account to catch up, or I need to start moving some junk on the 'Bay.

Another question - We run the PA in mono due to the way the mains are set up (L feeds the main room, R feeds a second room). I have a monitor that's dedicated to me, so "more me" is never an issue, but will I get the full benefit out of a roto type of effect or would a tremolo work well enough? I've messed around with extreme vibrato, and I can hear the effect I want in my head (what I hear in my head is definitely Leslie), I just dont know enough about pedals to know where to start.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I love the soudn my tremolo pedal puts out bet it wont get that leslie sound you want. Tremolo is cool for droaning notes out but if you play quarter notes or faster you risk loosing notes in the tempo. To me tremolo sounds liek your turnin your sound on and off at certain tempos. I've used tremolo with chorus and it kinda sounds like a lesie but i think a simulator pedal could do better. Im a big organ fan so i like the authentic sound of a leslie and if your liek me i dont think you would settle with a tremolo for a lesie tone. My combo organ comes out of the shop in a week or so and ill be lookin for a good leslie simulator.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You understand exactly what I'm after. I'm the guy who always stands on the Leslie side of the stage, if there's one to be had. Your point about a tremolo saved me some cash, I'll hock some of my kids' toys and save up for an RT-20 and expression pedal. ;)

·
Registered
83 Posts
Haha no problem let me know how the RT-20 goes becuase for me its either the rt-20 or the danelectro reel echo (probably one of the best soundin tape echo simulators out)

Leslie has no side of the stage it fills the entire room from the roof to the floor, behind you and in front of you, from the left to the right, and everywhere in between! A Leslie takes you to a Third Dimension of sound!!

·
Registered
83 Posts
Im pretty sure the RT-20 is the only leslie simulator pedal that has the option of settin the tweeter and rotary drum at different speeds which is what gives it that lush leslie sound. Univibes, rotovibes, and all those simulate both rotaries at one simultaneous speed.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Zacharias said:
Im pretty sure the RT-20 is the only leslie simulator pedal that has the option of settin the tweeter and rotary drum at different speeds which is what gives it that lush leslie sound. Univibes, rotovibes, and all those simulate both rotaries at one simultaneous speed.
I think you're right, I don't recall seeing that feature on the others. I think I have this narrowed down to the RT-20 and the Digitech EX-7 Expression Factory. The EX-7 offers several expression effects (wah, rotary, Whammy, flanger, etc) that can be blended with distortion models. There's a lot of power there for the money. It'll come down to trying to get my hands on the units to try them, and of course, the cash flow.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
220 Posts
"Leslie has no side of the stage it fills the entire room from the roof to the floor, behind you and in front of you, from the left to the right, and everywhere in between! A Leslie takes you to a Third Dimension of sound!!"
How true.
One gig I will never forget the organ player (a high school friend)
Brought TWO LESLIES into an Eagles hall for his B3. The hall was fairly small maybe 60' x 120' (?) What a fun night!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts