Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the best type of plastic for making a sax mouthpiece? Are there any advantages to, say lucite, presplex or ??? over other plastics?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
32,938 Posts
Fred also says that you can drive a truck over his acetal mouthpieces but he neglects to mention that you should first remove it from your saxophone. ;)

I've played several of Fred's acetal 'pieces and have a couple more on the way.

SR Tech's "85" alto 'piece is one of the best I've played - it is Lucite as I recall.

Saxscape uses a material that looks like Delrin to me.

Then, too, are all the cool Runyon 'pieces in a variety of colors (I like the amber 'cause it tastes like cream soda). ;)

Bottom line: Design and execution rule over choice of material.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
4,147 Posts
I am pretty sure that the saxscapes are made from acetal. I think I read it on the site, but I am not sure.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013
2,892 Posts
Martinman said:
I am pretty sure that the saxscapes are made from acetal. I think I read it on the site, but I am not sure.
His site says: "I do the actual machining, starting from a "log" of cast acrylic, which I shape using a manual lathe and milling machine..."
Is acrylic the same thing? Mojo?

·
Registered
8,975 Posts
I'm not a plastics expert. But acrylic is not an acetal. I think Runyons are mostly a polycarbonate (like Plexiglass) with supposedly some synthetic hard rubber foo-foo dust mixed in. I'm talking the Runyons that are made in the red, yellow, blue, black clolors.

The Quantum and XL Runyons are made from Delrin.

·
4,544 Posts
Acrylic, acetal and polycarbonate are each very different materials.

Acrylic is a lightweight, rigid and weather resistant Thermoplastic. Acrylic is safer than glass because of its greater breakage resistance, has a higher light transmittance than glass, and half the density of glass. In sheet form acrylic is supplied in a great variety of transparent, translucent and opaque colors. Acrylic, however, is not very scratch resistant. Acrylic does 'ring' nicely if you assemble a block or cantilever.

Delrin® is a homopolymer acetal for mechanical and electro-mechanical parts requiring extreme rigidity and dimensional stability. Glass filled 20% milled glass fibers by weight added to Delrin® base resin give Delrin® twice the stiffness of regular unreinforced Delrin® and impart a far higher resistance to elevated temperatures. Other additives to acetal can create different mechanical properties. I have used the glass-filled material, and believe that it would be a spectacular mouthpiece material, particularly for thin rails. Acoustically, acetal is a 'dead' material...it effectively damps out vibrations. Depending on your particular voodoo beliefs, this could be good or bad.

Polycarbonate, Lexan®, is a virtually unbreakable material with good dimensional stability and rigidity and a wide range of properties, including self-extinguishing properties. It also resist chemicals and provides high tensile strength...generally unaffected by greases, oils and acids. Lexan 'rings' very well. I have seen an all-weather marimba with polycarbonate tines. Again...believe your own voodoo about this one.

·
4,147 Posts
I just knew it started with "a". My mistake.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts