Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hey there, you seem to have a Dukoff Crystal Mouthpiece. I still have mine for Alto, and it was in fact my first Dukoff piece I had ever bought. They were4 around for only a few years as far as I remember, but someone else on this forum may be able to speak more accurately to that.

Have you played it yet? What did you think of it?

Also, the ligature that came with my alto piece fits almost all of my metal tenor pieces, and is hands down my favorite lig. If you still have it, hold onto that lig!

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have the original ligature. This piece is plastic though, not real crystal. I know that Dukoff made "crystallite" mouthpieces and Vibra-Com mpcs, but I'm not sure which this is.

I actually bought it at lunch time today from a small shop here locally. I played a similar piece on alto years ago, and I recall it being called a Vibra-Com. Anyway, I will sell it; I just have no idea what it's worth.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2008,
3,891 Posts
They're plastic, not Crystal, I use one refaced by EZ on tenor, and its a great piece! I dont know why they made these this way instead of out of the silverite material they usually use, but im glad they did!

·
Registered
8,979 Posts
"Crystal" usually refers to a glass mouthpiece. Vibra-Com are the black plastic Dukoffs. "Crystallite" sounds right for the clear plastic ones. I've only worked on 2 of them.

The plastic Dukoffs usually fetch more than the Silverite ones. They are tougher to find and dimensionally more stable.

·
Registered
275 Posts
So how do the "crystallite" mouthpieces sound in relation to the "silverite" mouthpieces?

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I put the Dukoff on ebay. I really have no idea of the value, but I did see a guy unsuccessfully list a D6 alto piece of the same material with a "Buy It Now" of $315. That didn't happen but I'm guessing $150-200 is a reasonable expectation for my tenor piece. We'll see.

·
Mouthpiece Refacer Extraordinaire and Forum Contri
3,406 Posts
Cool. I think I bid on it before noticing this thread. These are great!

·
3,406 Posts
I mean - YEAH - like - These are the best pieces on the planet! Anyone who doesn't own one doesn't know what they are missing!!!!!

(See if we can pump this baby up to $300!!!)

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2008,
3,891 Posts
rodelliot, is that one yours?

BTW Ed, I'm still using the one I purchased from you! I wouldn't mind it being a tad more open but I still really dig it

·
3,406 Posts
Thanks, Martin!

GO BUCS!!!

·
3,406 Posts
What? Vandoren what? Soprano what? :?

Sorry. Obviously my head isn't on straight. I have to retract my last statement about the BUCS until I figure out what's going on, Mr. Red Runyon.

I stay away from Red Runyons myself. They make me fart.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Martin Williams said:
rodelliot, is that one yours?

BTW Ed, I'm still using the one I purchased from you! I wouldn't mind it being a tad more open but I still really dig it
It was mine!

·
Registered
6 Posts
so I had said "Dukoff Crystal" before, and I meant that was name when i purchased it. I could be wrong about the marketing, but that's what the sales guy called it.

Nice job on the price you got for yours!

Cheers.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts