Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Technician
3,112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What exactly is 'Silverite' an alloy of (each element and it's percentage would be nice to know)? And have there been tests for toxicity done on these in recent years? Not that I'm saying they're toxic, but there have been rumours going around - though if they were toxic they wouldn't have been made from this alloy to begin with.

Only last night I had a player recoil in horror when I asked him to try my alto D7 (which I had a go at refacing), saying something to the effect of 'I don't want to get Altzheimer's from using an aluminium mouthpiece'. But if it was all aluminium, it wouldn't be the weight it is.

Is it mostly tin and zinc as pewter (obviously without any lead in it), or is there some aluminium in the mix as well? To me, it looks (and smells) similar to the same soft alloy used for typeface, Yamaha Clavinova key weights and mazak.

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
This question keeps comming up over and over. Did you do a search? It was discussed, tested and discussed again and again.
To answer your question- plain no. There is NO lead in it. It´s lead-free pewter.

·
Distinguished SOTW Technician
3,112 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
After trudging through the majority of the search results I found it's 98.32% tin and 1.68% copper which satisfies my curiosity.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I verified that to be correct.

He is right ! :D I had one on loan analyzed with a PMI (particular material inspection) X-ray gun. The elements have a certain 'signature' when exposed to the X-rays and it is largely tin and a small part copper (I had a post sometime back on this). This can add to the brightness of the sound but I just personally prefer brass. Also, there are many reports that Dukoffs wear out in 2 - 4 years and this is due to the softness of the metal. You can get it refaced, but there is only so much material that you can take out of the tip rail (and still have one). I believe that they have used this material since about 1972 according to Theo Wanne's site. It has a certain 'crackle' to the sound that may suit David Sanborn and other R & B, R&R and smooth jazz players.

·
Registered
8,980 Posts
A Silverite Dukoff will sound the same as a plastic or brass Dukoff if they are made to the same dimensions. They will feel different in the mouth (plastic vs metal), which may make some players play them differently. But that is a secondary effect.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I've just been given Tenor 7M to try out - I like it and I don't. You know - when people say 'who do want to sound like?' or (more aptly) 'what do you what to sound like?', I never know what to say. I love so many players of different styles that I'd find it hard to single out one and only one. On the other hand, what do I want to sound like? Not sure! Maybe I'll know when I stumble on that horn, mpc, lig and reed combination that one day says to me 'Now THAT'S what you sound like'. Really difficult all this music stuff. Anyhow, I think I'm going to keep the Dukoff because it feels like it MIGHT be a move in the right direction - er maybe? I'll let you know.

ps I'm really grateful for HARDBOP"S entry above.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013
2,892 Posts
PhilEmerson said:
I've just been given Tenor 7M to try out - I like it and I don't. You know - when people say 'who do want to sound like?' or (more aptly) 'what do you what to sound like?', I never know what to say. I love so many players of different styles that I'd find it hard to single out one and only one. On the other hand, what do I want to sound like? Not sure! Maybe I'll know when I stumble on that horn, mpc, lig and reed combination that one day says to me 'Now THAT'S what you sound like'. Really difficult all this music stuff. Anyhow, I think I'm going to keep the Dukoff because it feels like it MIGHT be a move in the right direction - er maybe? I'll let you know.

ps I'm really grateful for HARDBOP"S entry above.
Just keep playing, Phil; it will work itself out.......daryl

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,309 Posts
"Also, there are many reports that Dukoffs wear out in 2 - 4 years and this is due to the softness of the metal."

I'd like to know where this came from...I know players that have some of the earliest (silverite) models and are still playing them with no problems.

·
Mouthpiece Refacer Extraordinaire and Forum Contri
3,406 Posts
RandyJ - I have heard of this problem from one of my biggest clients. This may help explain why...

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
32,962 Posts
RandyJ said:
I'd like to know where this came from...I know players that have some of the earliest (silverite) models and are still playing them with no problems.
... except that it sounds like a Dukoff! :twisted:

·
4,147 Posts
EZ said:
RandyJ - I have heard of this problem from one of my biggest clients. This may help explain why...

He is rather large isn't he?

·
Registered
306 Posts
I don't know about some scientific researches about it, I just know of a guy here that played the silverite mpc for over ten years, today he has cancer in his mouth. Lead free or not, something is suspicious about the weight of that weird metal composition, and no matter what, I wouldn't touch them.
You can tell me of a lot of players that played them and nothing happened to them, that's true, but I also know of a lot of cases of people that heavily smoked all their life and they never got cancer, so would you say cigarettes don't cause cancer?

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
zivley said:
... I just know of a guy here that played the silverite mpc for over ten years, today he has cancer in his mouth. ...
I once knew a guy who was talking nonsence and now he´s got a knot in his tongue :twisted:

·
Registered
306 Posts
nonsense? This case I'm talking about is real!
I don't say that he got the cancer from the mpc, but I wouldn't wanna check it out on myself. I mean if you're in doubt about something being unhealthy or not, you better avoid it, that's all. THAT doesn't make any sense?

·
Registered
8,040 Posts
I thought that lead caused stupid kids, not cancer. Like most diseases, family history seems to be the most likely reason you'll get cancer not Dukoff's choice of mouthpiece materials.

·
4,147 Posts
whaler said:
I thought that lead caused stupid kids, not cancer. Like most diseases, family history seems to be the most likely reason you'll get cancer not Dukoff's choice of mouthpiece materials.

What if the mouthpiece was made out of plutonium?:D

·
Registered
306 Posts
Then if your family history doesn't have cancer you can smoke your *ss off, and go travel down the old Chernobyl Nuclear Plant, and eat lots of food with monosodium glutamate, suck some lead for leissure, you're sure you won't get any cancer because of your healthy family heritage?
I wouldn't take the chances...

1 - 20 of 41 Posts