Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, I’m looking for a bit of insight as to what the value might be to a mouthpiece I just discovered I had in my collection. As I was rummaging through some old mouthpieces, I found a dukoff Miami original large chamber tenor mouthpiece, size L8. I’ve heard around the block that they are somewhat rare? But not totally sure. I’m curious as to how much this mouthpiece would demand in our current market of mouthpieces. Thank you. Here are some pictures:
Cylinder Office supplies Font Tints and shades Metal Composite material Automotive exterior Gas Auto part Metal

Attachments

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
Completed listings on ebay for Miami Dukoffs range from $100 to $500. I don't see any L models, but LD and M models don't necessarily seem more valuable. An M8 was no sale at $125 (0 bids). An LD7 sold for $154.50. An LD10 sold for $400 (the big tip was a "Super Rare" selling point and probably the biggest factor in the price).
JunkDude recently sold a M6 for $250.
For whatever reason, Older/"Rarer"/Original Big Tips are the main things that seem to bring higher sale prices, with any mouthpiece. Also, original box/ligature/cap add value, or rather, lack of same detracts from value.
The "Rarer" factor has a caveat, and I think it applies with Dukoffs: If it wasn't popular to begin with, it may not be as attractive now. The D models have always been the big sellers for the SPC pieces.

·
Registered
8,359 Posts
I had an LD7. Very nice playing mouthpiece but probably wasn’t his biggest seller. I sold it for $250 or so as I remember.
Kind of an odd choice for Dukoff to have made a Link type mouthpiece out of pewter when you could get a nicely made gold plated Link made of brass.

·
Registered
1,571 Posts
I also has a LD7 once. Together with a few Link STM's. I thought it was a little brighter than the Links.
Not as spread. More like a Wolfe Tayne type of mouthpiece that I also tried. Besides the LD had straight side walls as opposed to the rounded Links.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts