Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
599 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello! I've recently came upon Dukoff Miami Clear Plastic mpcs, and I was hoping for input form the members who own or once owned these unusual mpcs. If you check the pictures that I've taken, there seems to be a slight roll-over baffle right below the tip rail. My understanding is that, for a silverite version, there isn't such a baffle ,and it's just a plain straight baffle.

So I was wondering if these two mpcs have been modified. I've talked with the seller, and he says that he purchased them as new from the store back in 80s or so. The mpcs came with original cap and ligature so I'm pretty convinced but to make sure. :mrgreen: Regarding the sound, it isn't as shrill as the silverite version, but still has that dukoff power...really full sounding mpcs.

·
Banned
1,611 Posts
These mouthpieces play better than silverlite pieces in my humble opinion. They retain their brightness, but they play fuller and not as shrill as the silverlite pieces. I play one on tenor for blues gigs.

·
Registered
8,975 Posts
The Silverite Dukoffs all have roll-over baffles too. I usually remove them since I find the combo of the roll-over + high baffle (D, M and X) + the wart + the side squeeze at the throat area a bit too "super".

·
Registered
670 Posts
I have one of these, a black one, from the 80's. It is an alto piece, d6, like one Candy Dulfer used to play. They are good mouthpieces for blues, funk etc. Those clear ones especially are great collector pieces, they don't make these anymore I believe, only the silverites.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Interesting that you would find alto versions of this mouth piece. I played a tenor version for many years with my King S20 in blues and funk bands. I has worked well for me but I switched to a Berg metal mouthpiece to give an even more edgy sound.

·
Registered
599 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you for the kind input guys. I haven't seen any soprano version as well. It's likely that the soprano dukoffs are only produced in silverite as I've never seen a plastic one, either in black or clear.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts