Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've recently been looking at my mouthpiece and learning more about the parts of mouthpieces and what they do (Thanks theowanne.com!) and have realized that I need to take my Jumbo Java, put it in a box, and run far and fast! :shock:

The dukoff BD hollywoods (Like Dexter, I know I know... the piece doesn't make the player) seems to be a step in the right direction.

Here's the problem: Am I going to be able to find one that I can afford without removing and selling major organs? I'm a high school student without a job, and I have limited resources for making money. I could maybe scrounge up $300-$350. Would this be enough? Or do I just have to deal with this super-birght-loud-laser beam mpc?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,944 Posts
Your Jumbo Java is not necessarily a bad mouthpiece, and, if you're a high school student, I would say that the Dukoff Hollywood would be, to put it bluntly, a stupid investment. You're not going to find one in a useful tip opening for less than $500, if what I've seen on eBay is any indicator.

Why is the Dukoff your only option?

Try a modern Link STM and get it refaced. If you buy a used mouthpiece, that will probably cost you $200. Also think about the Vandoren V16 hard rubber tenor mouthpieces. Those run about $100 on Saxquest.

I bought an expensive mouthpiece (Ponzol) in high school, then realized it was completely wrong for me. Now I'm very, very happy on my Link.

·
2,228 Posts
I would try as many mouthpieces as you can at music stores. I find the Vandoren mouthpieces that are made from blue compound are much better and warmer sounding pieces. Check out this player, Robert Stewart at http://cdbaby.com/cd/rstewart with soundclips. He is playing on a Vandoren Jumbo Java Blue T45 with a bari brand medium plastic reed. His website is www.therobertstewertexperience.com He is an incredible musician. The java blue are great as well, rounder and warmer than the jumbo java.

Otto links STM NY current production are good. You can experiment with a wax baffle. It can get a fat buzzy sound without the brightness, they can play dark. I play mine without an added baffle and it is fantastic.

V16 Vandoren T45 T55 T75 metal are good mouthpieces. I am currently playing with a T75 I purchased recently and I am liking it alot.

The most I have spent on a mouthpiece is $250.00, a Lamberson tenor. I sold it, it was not for me. My absolute favorite pieces all cost me $100.00 or less. They are Link STM, Link STM NY, Bilger, Morgan L, all purchased second hand and in fantastic condition.

On your budget you could contact one of the mouthpiece refacers here on SOTW and describe what you are looking for. They can do wonders with a proper facing and a baffle added to your desire. In the long run you will save a ton of $$ if it is what works for you. More $$ for reeds....:D

I have bought mouthpieces from SOTW members that are known for their honest accurate descriptions and high playing level. They are usually the same people that are most willing to help a younger player. Some of them have picked out the best playing mouthpiece in the store for that brand and later sold it here after experimenting with it. Its a great way to get a deal and a great mouthpiece. Thats how I found my T75, I did pay more than $100.00 for it though. Waiting can save you $$, and you will get most if not all of your money back by reselling here if it is not for you.

·
Registered
249 Posts
trying mpces

Lazysaxman if your ever in st.cloud, minn. look me up to try many mpces including bd hollywood. 320 252 8159 Al

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Dirty, thank you for being honest, I was thinking somebody would probably say that, and I'm not disregarding your post. $500 is a lot of dough. I'm not playing in any blues/funk bands, otherwise I'd be happy with this. I think I'll probably keep it until I need it later in life. A dukoff is not my only option, it's just something I would like to try, since everything I've read about them (specifically BATMAN's posts *husky*) seems to be what I'm going for. I keep reading that if you really want a certain sound, you should do longtones and listen to great players and it will come, but I think that this jumbo java is very much dictating my sound development and not allowing me to go the direction I am wanting to.

I bought an otto link STM from EZ that he fixed up, and it just didn't work for me. It might be because it was a 6*, which I think is quite a bit more closed than the jumbo. Or maybe I just need to spend more time with it.

I'd really love to try different mouthpieces, but I'm not in a very populous area, and the music stores don't stock any mouthpieces at all. I'll probably try and get a few from WWBW, but the long waiting time and restock fee is a real bummer.

Also, I feel like I'm cheating myself out of something, and cheating to be heard, with the step baffle. I want to sound BIG not just LOUD. :(

·
Forum Contributor 2008/Distinguished SOTW Member
3,295 Posts
super20dan said:
try the new hollywood dukoff -its a great mps
Is there anyone who stocks these or can you only order them straight from Dukoff? All the online stores I've seen only carry the D's or maybe an M. I have a H9 which is awesome but I feel I need something a tad smaller.

·
Distinguished Member, Forum Contributor 2013-2016
7,890 Posts
LazySaxman said:
Dirty, thank you for being honest, I was thinking somebody would probably say that, and I'm not disregarding your post. $500 is a lot of dough. I'm not playing in any blues/funk bands, otherwise I'd be happy with this. I think I'll probably keep it until I need it later in life. A dukoff is not my only option, it's just something I would like to try, since everything I've read about them (specifically BATMAN's posts *husky*) seems to be what I'm going for. I keep reading that if you really want a certain sound, you should do longtones and listen to great players and it will come, but I think that this jumbo java is very much dictating my sound development and not allowing me to go the direction I am wanting to.

I bought an otto link STM from EZ that he fixed up, and it just didn't work for me. It might be because it was a 6*, which I think is quite a bit more closed than the jumbo. Or maybe I just need to spend more time with it.

I'd really love to try different mouthpieces, but I'm not in a very populous area, and the music stores don't stock any mouthpieces at all. I'll probably try and get a few from WWBW, but the long waiting time and restock fee is a real bummer.

Also, I feel like I'm cheating myself out of something, and cheating to be heard, with the step baffle. I want to sound BIG not just LOUD. :(
If you like "husky", you should try an Otto Link NY (modern), in a 7* (since you said that the 8*) was too close.

Honestly, you might also try some other HR pieces (like a Morgan L) if that's the sound you want.

·
2,944 Posts
LazySaxman said:

I wasn't saying you had to stick with your Jumbo Java, but just that, on a high school budget, mouthpieces in the $250+ range should only be considered when more mouthpieces in lower price ranges have been tried.

Like J.Max said, a more open Link and/or a modern NY Link might just do it for you.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2008
4,046 Posts
Buy a used Otto link in about a 7/7* and send it to a refacer. There's lots of guys that can reface this to make it play like you want.

Personally I prefer the NY Links as they have a wider window and more scooped out chamber.....fat sound.

A high school student with limited funds shouldn't waste his money on vintage gear as you have no idea how well it will play.

Your looking at around $220 for a metal link that has been refaced.

To tell you the truth though there's lots of HR pieces that will work just as well and your band director might prefer you play on an HR. Also HR pieces cost almost half of what metal cost with a reface. Brian Powell can reface a Rubber link for $70 including s/h. Of course this is the opposite direction of the brighter Jumbo Java.

I do agree that you should dump the Jumbo Java.....not one of my favorite pieces either.

·
497 Posts
many old dukoff mouthpieces are wonderfull wonderfull mouthpeces.
there are lots of different designs made through the years.
the rubber tenor fluted chamber dukoff mouthpieces are beautiful sounding.
I also have a house of note rubber dukoff alto mouthpiece that is the best and most expressive alto mouthpiece i have ever played so the tenor house of notes might be good as well.
generally duoffs can be had for less that vintage links.
if you buy one on ebay and its no good or you don't like it you just resell it untill you find one you like.

modern otto links like people are sugesting are basically unplayable blanks from the factory both rubber and metal. If you get them refaced they still sound horrible and they don't play smoothly like vintage mouthpieces do because the designe is flawed in key ways.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2008
4,046 Posts
garyjones said:
modern otto links like people are sugesting are basically unplayable blanks from the factory both rubber and metal. If you get them refaced they still sound horrible and they don't play smoothly like vintage mouthpieces do because the designe is flawed in key ways.
Huh?

The refacer should be able to correct any flaws in a link. Now I'll admit I don't like the STM even with a reface, but the NY with reface is smooth as butter. Same with a HR link that has been in for a quality reface.

Who have you had do your refacing work on Links?

Some vintage pieces are great, but the cost for our student with the jumbo java is a little prohibitive.

·
2,944 Posts
garyjones said:
That's a fact, kids. Modern Links never worked for anybody. ;)

·
4,147 Posts
There is an old Dukoff on www.junkdude.com like the Hollywood for only about 250 bucks. You could try it and return it if you don't like it. I played it when I was up there, and I thought it was pretty good. I ended up buying a Super Power Chamber though, because it was louder. Big mistake.

·
13,063 Posts
I think that one Dave has is a transitional piece and if Im not mistaken the walls are straight which makes it different than a hollywood which are very undercut. If Im right I owned one of those once. They were good but nothing to really write home about.

·
Banned
26 Posts
I bought an old 1949 Dukoff Hollywood (2 piece type) from Theo Wanne. It is the best playing piece I've ever had. I've played Berg's, Barone Jazz, Tenny Slant Link, Link by MOJO, Link 4* faced by Powell, Link HR faced by Spencer, RPC .105R, handmade Guardala MBII and many more. By far the Wanne Dukoff Hollywood is the BEST for me. I paid $365 for the mouthpiece.

·
Forum Contributor 2007 Distinguished SOTW Member
820 Posts
garyjones said:
What exactly is flawed in the design? I realize the QC is all over the place, but the design? It's basically a large chamber piece with a small rollover baffle, no? I would think any good refacer could take care of the QC issues and then they would play fine.

·
Distinguished SOTW Columnist / Forum Contributor 2
4,202 Posts
I think the design of the current links is fine. Somehow I manage to play on a modified hard rubber link just fine.

·
Forum Contributor 2008/Distinguished SOTW Member
3,295 Posts
Martinman said:
There is an old Dukoff on www.junkdude.com like the Hollywood for only about 250 bucks. You could try it and return it if you don't like it. I played it when I was up there, and I thought it was pretty good. I ended up buying a Super Power Chamber though, because it was louder. Big mistake.
Did you play the BD Hollwyood that is open to .120?

1 - 20 of 54 Posts