Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi, just got an D7 Miami, FL, and it plays surprisingly well on a first take, even not as bright as I expected (I'm mostly on STM Links)
I read about this "wart" here on the forum, but I'm not sure exactly what this mean, here are photos of mine
so wart is this bump before chamber, am I right?

View attachment 247786
View attachment 247788

·
Registered
8,975 Posts
Yes. It is usually smaller in the vintage mouthpieces like yours. It is easy enough to make a modern one smaller. But I like to remove them and cheek out the sides in the throat area. It fattens up the sound. More spread, less piercing. Still bright due to the high baffle but not as much.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
TENOR, soprano, alto, baritone
7,409 Posts
That could really be cleaned up - its a pretty glaring example. However, if you like the mouthpiece as it is, you have to make a decision in having it altered, knowing that it will be different.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I rarely, almost never played those high baffle mpcs., but I played this one today for three hours and I really like it, no squeaks, very even throughout the range, not reed picky at all and unbelievably easy and stable altissimo, so I would not mess up with facing/table. I use Vandoren V12 no. 3 1/2 (softer side) reeds and Rico H lig.
Just about this wart, I'm not sure if it is designed this way or this might be and mold error? Should I have it removed or not, it is the question?

·
Registered
5,458 Posts
I have one just like that. Never altered that part, I figured it would have some effect on the sound, and it's not so easy to put material back.

I did clean up some other aspects of the casting, and when I fixed the incredibly short weird facing the thing played a whole lot better.

This is all back in the days when the Dukoff D7 with a Selmer soprano ligature was the standard rock setup. Nowadays there are so many high quality alternatives of that general type that I would probably go for something made of a material harder than the Dukoff mystery meat, which is about as hard as a bar of soap.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts